Excessive dynamic airway collapse

I have been diagnosed with excessive dynamic airway collapse on exhalation and also vocal cord dysfunction on exhalation my pulmonary function test shows mild restriction.

Is anybody out there living with this?how do you cope? I've been told to exercise but I get so scared and anxious. I can't find very much information on these particular conditions

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi quinny. Didn't whoever diagnosed you give you any information? If not, that's terrible. I haven't heard of it, but is it similar to tracheobronchomalacia? There's someone on the Asthma UK forum who has that.

• What is tracheobrinchomalacia

• Tracheobronchomalacia or TBM is a condition characterized by flaccidity of the tracheal support cartilage which leads to tracheal collapse. This condition can also affect the bronchi.

• Hi I got some information and am using cpap at the moment. It's similar to trachealmalica except my trachea collapses in the back.

• Hi, I have been diagnosed with Tracheomalacia, which can also be termed as excessive dynamic airway collapse. I was diagnosed at bronchoscopy a couple of years ago. This condition results in extreme breathlessness on exertion, any exertion.

My trachea collapses in on itself greater than 90% on expiration. The problem is a structural one with the trachea and in some cases includes the bronchi as well and no amount of exercise will help 'strengthen' the cartilage that has gone floppy. I have been using CPAP for some time now which helps considerably, however this does take some getting used to!

I do not have VCD.

If you wish to discuss further please pm me, I will be happy to help if I can.

Good luck xx

• Thankyou, my collapse is 80 percent , from what I understand the lung dr said mine involves the muscle in the back of the trachea not the cartilage

I use the cpap at level 7 overnight and during the day when I get bad symptoms I don't find much relief

I'm also currently tapering of long term use of prednisone from when they thought it was a king issue, which is very hard.

The dr has said with weight loss and coming of the pred the collapsing may improve

You may also like...