Being proactive

When I went to the respiratory clinic last November my consultant said I should be seen no more than 4 months later, and if the appointment was later than that would I make a fuss, as he 'didn't want administrators telling him when he could see his patients '. Appointment arrived, nearly five months, so I duly tried to alter it. With the help of my GP and nurse, and my own bossy nature we have success! The appointment has been brought forward a month and is February 28th. I have to be fair and say the hospital were helpful too. While I am pleased it upsets me that you have to do this, as it is so wearing and lots of people don't feel able or well enough to cope with it. Now I will have to work on my cardiologist to get him to tell me what is going on as he writes me lovely letters but doesn't actually tell me anything!

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Carnival l am pleased you got a result but why do we have to go through this? It's so energy sapping. I have to sort things out for Pete and it drives me crazy sometimes. Good luck to you. Xxxxx

• Quite agree

• Glad you were able to get the change, but it really, really should not be down to us to have to do it. Exhausting. And you are so right: if I had meekly accepted all the things that doctors, both GPs and consultants had said to me during the past seven years I would now be a gibbering wreck, probably on antidepressants and having to believe that it all had a psychological cause. It is only because I am reasonably well-informed, moderately confident, and have a brilliant support team in my family and friends that I have been able to get anywhere.

Hope you get the answers you need.

kate xx

• Well done for that, Carnival, but I think you sometimes need extra vitamins to give you the energy to be proactive. If the consultant writes 4 months on your notes that should be it - or are they really so over-booked for clinic appointments that they have to nudge everyone backwards?

I think you might need different tactics with your cardiologist - being direct, nudging but stop short of pleading.

Look after yourself, and good luck. Sue x

• Thanks

• Good job Carnival567 . That sounds rather annoying but I am glad the hospital were also helpful. Take care. xx

Cas ☀🌱☀

You may also like...