After waiting eight months, the second time l phoned for an update l was offered a cancellation. That was Mon, yet only phoned Fri ,had l not, still be waiting.
This one was done by atcos and handled different to one l had last year. Second try, first one refused. Now have to wait for three months to hear if it was worth it. The lady told me that they are trying to cut down on payments as people are not using the payments for what they are for. So what they are doing instead is paying for things that can improve the claimants lives.
Guess l will have once again to see if they feel do mine with bronchiolitis obtarin is worthy.