British Heart Foundation
8,111 members5,010 posts

Beetroot good for heart disease

The BBC inside science programme reported a trial at a leading heart clinic with daily beetroot juice. Is anyone using beetroot? How much should you take?

19 Replies
oldestnewest

I heard that, always an interesting programme. I assume that eating beetroot works too. That's fine by me, beetroot is delicious, i shall be eating more

1 like

It was all to do with nitric oxide which is very much the good oxide of nitrogen en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nit...

Thanks inamoment I shall try some juice daily and see how it goes

Just incorporate beetroot in salads. Many juices have high sugar levels on a par with fruit juices.

1 like

Sounds like this may one of the 2018 Super Foods. These come up regularly over the years. I can recall tomatoes, pomegranates and acai berries being promoted over the years. The answer, in my view, is to ensure you eat a balanced diet.

The most appealing "good for you" foods over the years to me have been red wine and dark chocolate! :)

5 likes

If you are just having the juice you are missing out on the solid nutrients that beetroot have. I think you would be better off eating beetroot. It's not expensive, just a bit messy. You can buy it pre-cooked in supermarkets. I don't think pickled is as good for you.

Watch this: nutritionfacts.org/video/wh...

Pickling may further reduce vitamin levels, already reduced during cooking, but will increase probiotic levels. This applies to all pickled vegetables.

1 like

Thanks for your replies

Maybe I'll try it worth Worcester sauce and if that fails a slug of gin might help

Why not a beetroot smoothie although I think vodka would be better than gin. I would also add some cayenne pepper, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and low sodium salt

Must buy some beetroot later today! :)

I had my first taste this morning - a few drops of Worcester sauce makes it palatable. I shall try the smoothie idea as I usually have drinking yoghurt which I could mix with the beetroot.

You are so clever mate, and l have noticed you tell us facts we never knew, thanks. Why don't you go on " The Chase" ? Sue x

Thank you! I have seen it a few times but would crash out if I got questions on soaps and reality TV. When I had some IQ tests a few decades ago I came out in the top 2% of the population.

1 like

It is worth making a beetroot curry. Takes a while but is yummy. I've not made it for ages, must have another go

1 like

I think I'll try this

1 like

Good question humph3, because although beetroot is good from the nitric oxide point of view, it has the same glycaemic-index (Gi) rating as table sugar.

Someone remind me of a recent programme where they tested three foods, and beetroot was less beneficial than they anticipated? This would help explain why.

Thanks Concerned I had my first taste this morning - it's pretty grim although with a few drops of Worcester sauce it's just about palatable - I may not be having it every day!

1 like

I have had 2 mornings with beetroot juice and a probiotic yoghurt drink mixed. It is quite palatable

I started drinking 250ml of beetroot juice per day (Asda and M&S both do a 750ml bottle with Apple and Blackcurrant) in a smoothie with frozen summer berries and banana smoothie fruit (Asda). Not sure if it is of any benefit but it certainly opened my eyes to a new way of taking beetroot, other than the pickled variety in jars :). It also makes this vegetable seem like a fruit - now that's messing with my mind :)

1 like

Yes I agree I mix mine with a drinking yoghurt like you i shall drink it for the foreseeable future

You may also like...