British Heart Foundation
6,462 members4,034 posts

Furosemide

Morning all! Hope you’re all having a lovely Bank Holiday and enjoying the sunshine! Just a quick question, I’m on 80mg of Furosemide a day, 40mg in a morning then 40 on an afternoon, is this normal to have them staggered like that? I just find it a nightmare trying to a) remember to take the afternoon one of I’m out and about and b) trying to find a toilet is not always easy . It’s not so bad if I’m at work but weekends etc it’s a problem. Many thanks !

Fi 😊

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, typically where a dose is more than 40mg it is split into two, 8:00 AM and (typically) 4:00 PM to maximise effect. If it is really that inconvenient you could ask your GP about the SR (slow release) version.

1 like

He told me to take the 2nd dose early afternoon, I take my first dose at 5.30am 😯

Much the same idea to maximise cover during waking hours. Worth asking about the SR version.

1 like

I think I will! Thanks Michael 😊

Whilst you are having the SR conversation you could ask if there are others you could take to be once daily as an alternate to Lasix (furosemide)

1 like

Thanks Steve, I’m pleased there’s an alternative! 😊

You can download an app for your phone which alerts you to take your medication

1 like

Can you? That would be handy! Still quite newly diagnosed so it’s a bit of a learning curve 😊

You may also like...