Asthma UK community forum
9,883 members16,642 posts

Mountains and Clenil Inhaler

These two subjects are not related at all but I'm new to this so I thought I'd put them both in. First the mountain I am going to Switzerland next week and have a chance to go up Mt. Titlis in a cable car, this is 10,000ft above sea level and covered in snow. What I want to know is has anyone done anything similiar, I have severe asthma by the way, I've been up mountains in Austria but this look to be a bit different. Also does anyone have difficulty with the Clenil inhaler?. Once mine is half empty it seems to stop ""spraying"", my doctor doesn't seem to have heard of anyone else having this problem

2 Replies


your holiday sounds lovely. Sadly I can't go holidays like that as the altitude difference hits my asthma and I then have to spend the rest of the holiday in hospital. Went to the Alps once and never been near mountains again since

The clenil yeap my son's clenil did this we are now on a disk inhaler for his clenil and he finds this one so much better and it seems to work on his airways quicker just got to get the horrid asthma sorted again during the day. Bloody school term-time again and his asthma is being a pain to control. We do have it controlled during the night which is brilliant. God old Salmeterol did the job during last winter and it seems to be doing the job again know and this time he will not be having it taken off him. I think he will be getting the next step up on his inhalers and be put on Seretide (purple inhaler) or even have montekulast/singulair added to his treatment


Hi Sherlock,

I've spent quite a lot of time at high altitude, up to 5500m. My doctors were really unhappy at the idea of me going to any altitude, because if I was to suddenly nose dive, my oxygen sats would already be much nearer the dangerous 'drop off' point. I did a lot (I mean a lot!) of research into it, and decided to risk it. I got through two relatively small (but sudden) attacks at 3500m unscathed. I dont feel altitude worsened my asthma, but I did respect the idea that if my sats were already low (they've spent quite long periods of time in the 80s, on some of my travels), then suddenly nose diving could be dangerous. PM me if you want any more info.

If you're having problems with inhaler failure, get this checked out before going to altitude. I spoke to both Astra Zeneka and GSK about going to extremely cold conditions, and to high altitude, to check that inhalers would survive (mine did, but I've not used Clenil).

Have fun.


You may also like...