Action on Postpartum Psychosis
2,151 members1,469 posts

Blessed

You are so blessed that your sister is safe. My daughter was misdiagnosed and took her own life 2 days after giving birth. Cherish your sister

19 Replies
oldestnewest

Dear Puple 58,

I am so very, very sorry that you lost your daughter. I can only imagin how devastating for you and the rest of the family. How long ago, how are you all coping and her darling baby?

My daughter also suffered with Postpartum psychosis, fortunately it was diagnosed, traumatic enough and in short, she was admitted to a Mother and Baby unit and is now recovered. I too am indeed blessed.

I hope that in some small way you have been able to come to terms with your tragic loss and the traumatic way it happened. I trust and hope that the precious little baby blessing, she left behind has been of comfort and given you and family some joy in your life.

Thinking of you.

With love Judith x

4 likes

The baby is doing well and thank you. She also had 2 other babies 9 and 4. We are all so devastated and heart broken. All the more so in that they were talking about anxiety as a diagnosis when I had advised them that I suspected post partum psychosis😞

Dear Purple58,

I am so very sorry and send sincere sympathy to you. Of course you are devastated and heartbroken, how could you be anything else at this time. It is still so very recent. I can only imagine your grief and pain whilst having to remain strong for the three precious children. I hope that as a family you are able to support one another, that you have supportive friends and also that there are agencies to help.

I am glad that you have found the Action Postpartum Psychosis site, it was a great help to me when my daughter was so unwell two years ago. Sad to say there are other mothers who have posted who have tragically lost a daughter. It is so frustrating that this terrible illness is sometimes so devastatingly misunderstood, for you, the more so, having suggested the possibility of PP. Slowly, slowly recognition is getting better, in no small way due to the hard work of APP.

The heroic Mums who post here are bravely getting on, if it's not too painful, they will write in support, if not I know they will think of you.

You are being so brave and I hope that strength will continue to be given to you.

Thinking of you and sending a hug that I wish I could give in person.

Judith x

3 likes

The baby was born 9th 0ctober 2018 and my daughter died on 11th 0ctober 2018

You really are so blessed. Wishing you and your daughter every happiness. Thank you for vtaking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. Enjoy every minute with your daughter as they are only on loan to us. Amazing how the kindness of complete strangers can lift the spirit x

1 like

Hello Purple,

Thank you for your reply. We can't as others have said take away your pain but if it does lift your spirits in some small way do write anytime.

I am hugely thankful for my children and grandchildren, they are indeed a gift on loan. I hope that your Grandchildren, though a reminder, can also be a comfort to you.

Take care of yourself.

Judith x

3 likes

Hello Purple58

It is heartbreaking to read your post. I'm so sorry that your daughter was misdiagnosed. I hope you have support around you and your grandchild will be of some comfort.

Take care.

2 likes

Hello Purple58

I am so sorry your daughter must have felt so consumed by her thoughts that she died two days after giving birth. Postpartum Psychosis is an awful illness and when I suffered years ago it struck within four days of giving birth, the first time. We were very happy at the thought of our first child but I changed into a completely different person! I was suicidal, hearing a commanding voice, having delusions and was eventually sectioned to mixed general psychiatric care, where I was treated for six months and began my long recovery.

It's very sad that your instinct about your daughter's illness was not taken into account. Such a shock for you. I'm not sure anything I can say will ease your pain but please know that we are all here to listen if it helps in any way. Thinking of you, take care. x

3 likes

Thank you so much x

1 like

Hi purple

It is so heartbreaking to read your post... and to hear as well that you suspected it was pp but this wasn’t heard.

Like lilybeth says there is nothing we can say to take the pain away... stories like yours make us even more determined that we do everything we can to prevent tragedies like this happening, to educate more professionals, and raise more awareness.

I am thinking of you and your family,

Ellie xx

4 likes

Afternoon Purple 58,

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter, this is just so awful. I cannot imagine the heartbreak you must all be feeling.

I had PP in 2016, and was fortunate to access medical help early and safely. I’m shocked and so sad that you saw what you thought was PP. It’s a horrendous and serious illness and tragic stories like your daughters make me (and others) only more determined to help and support spreading awareness.

I hope your grandchildren are doing ok, as well as they can be at this awful time. I’m sure you’re squeezing them extra tight as you all support each other. There is nothing anyone can say, but know that there are lots of people thinking of you.

Xxx

6 likes

Hello Purple58

I just wanted to add my condolences, I am so very very sorry for the tragic loss of your daughter.

Sending you love, Jenny x

5 likes

Dear Purple 58,

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Sending love to your family. It really does drive home the importance of swift diagnosis and appropriately trained staff for new parents and their families.

Deepest sympathies to you x

3 likes

I'm so sorry to read about your daughter's death, such a devastating situation for you all.

I also feel really strongly that people need to be alert to the possibility of PP in new Mums as the consequences can be so dire if we get it wrong. I remember someone telling me (maybe someone from APP?) That some midwives have said they don't want to scare people by telling them about the risk and symptoms of PP in preparing pregnant families but actually if it has the potential to prevent deaths it has to be worthwhile.

Thinking of you all,

Hazello

3 likes

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you...

I often meditate for my own well-being and then try to send love out to those mums, who are suffering and of course all those parents, who lost their daughter under such traumatising circumstances.

All my love!

xxx

3 likes

Thank you so much. I will really appreciate your kind words. I will xx

3 likes

Dear Purple,

A little note to say I’m thinking of you and your family.

I’m so sorry you were not listened to and that the system let your family down so completely in misdiagnosis. I feel much anger that there is not improved training for medical staff in early identification of ppp.

I am so sorry for your loss and sending you warm wishes.

Best,

4 likes

Lavender how kind to think of us. Your note is timely and so appreciated. Xx

Our thoughts are with you at such a difficult time! Sending you love and strengths...

dearest Purple 58,

x

2 likes

You may also like...