memory issues in your 30's

Hi there. I'm 37 years old and have a lot of issues with my memory. I often can't remember the names of the meds that I'm taking or what I did yesterday. I often forget people's names and have trouble remembering stories that they've told me. I also have trouble following conversations. I joined this group because I'm hoping to find some support from other people my age who also struggle with memory issues. I often worry that I have early onset dementia or Alzheimer's. I hope that there's someone out there can can relate to me.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Welcome to the community. There are a number of prescription and OTC drugs that can cause memory loss symptoms - I think you have read this post: healthunlocked.com/alzheime...

There are some steps you can take now for better cognitive health:

1. Regular physical exercise (at least 40 minutes of walking each day, or 30 minutes of cardio exercise) is important -- exercise raises the levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which helps the brain grow and maintain neural connections.

2. Eat a healthy diet for body and brain - you can download this quick reference guide: mybraintest.org/healthy-bra...

3. Practice good sleep hygiene - see this article for 5 beneficial sleep habits: mybraintest.org/2016/05/fiv...

All the best to you.

• Hi Christian. Is the memory loss reversible once you stop taking the meds that cause problems? Or has the damage already been done?

• There isn't much clinical research on what happens when meds that can cause memory impairment are stopped. As a rough analogy, several studies indicate that stopping smoking and controlling hypertension in midlife can reduce an elevated risk for Alzheimer's disease down to a "standard" risk profile.

You may also like...