AF side effects

Hi I have had AF for some ten years , I am on Apixaban and Flecanade, the Flecanade usually does the trick and slows my hart down from jumping about! But I still get that kick in the chest feeling for some hours later. However I woul like to know do other AF suffers have the same side effect as me? This are every time AF kicks in I have this same urge to pass urine , generally about 6 or 7 times every 10 minutes or so then it stops! probably because there is nothing left in my bladder. is this common with other AF suffers ?

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes - it's well known to all of us! Gallons of the stuff, caused by the distressed heart ridding the body of salt, hence the copious weeing.

It's called micturation and there are a few threads about it, if you search in the top right box on this page.

• Many thanks Finvola, it's so reassuring to talk to others with similar experiences.

• Remember to drink plenty of water as it can leave you dehydrated - which, in turn can trigger more AF. ☹️

• If you type in Micturation in the search box top right of page it will show you previous posts

• I have permanen AF and sometimes no symptons. But when my heatrate is to high that is one sign for me that it is going a bit mad. I have to keep going to the loo, and when you get the urge you need to be quick! As said above although you passing a lot of water you still need to keep your water intake up.

Cassie

• Hi alanb19, I was on flecainide also up to my ablation, my symptoms were pretty much the same as yours , as soon as af kicked in I would need to go too the toilet many times within the hour ! I remember telling the doctor this & his answer was it's quite common in most af sufferers

• Even on 100mg x2 daily of Flecainide and no AF I could tell if AF was lurking as in the late afternoons one or two days per week I would start peeing a lot. After 3 years on Flec that has now largely disappeared which I am taking as a good sign...... as well as a relief on the carpet to the bathroom!

• Do you have to be in AF to need the loo more or is it a symptom that comes with AF, suc as breathlessness, dizziness and general fatigue?

• It's to do with when I'm in AF, And thats generally during night when my AF usually starts!

You may also like...