AF Association
14,264 members17,253 posts

Report about health rationing - news to me!

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Referral centres cause 'dangerous' NHS delays, BMA warns - bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-3...

This article could explain a lot, I was blissfully unaware of this system except as a means of 'booking' appointments. I knew there was rationing for treatment but not for referrals, no wonder hospitals are clogged with patients who are getting treatment too late!

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Interesting, thank you for posting. Will certainly watch the programme on t.v. tonight.

Jean

1 like

When my GP tried to cover his backside with a referral to the hospital, it was cardiology that rejected it, not the referral centre.

News to me too, will ask my GP next week.

That system has been in operation in our area for some years - drove me mad as trying to get an appointment in 2008 -2013 with cardiology was next to useless & neurology was even worse, my very supportive GP rang the hospital after I had heard nothing for over 6 months and I don't know what he said but I got a phone call from the hospital the same day, very apologetic and an appointment - still some 2 months hence.

I ended up seeing someone privately and then was transferred to the NHS list because AF was considered a chronic condition.

This is the tip of the iceberg! Rationing ,post code lottery has been going on for many years!

2 likes