Circadian variation of paroxysmal afib

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/104...

I have noticed a definite pattern with my afib - predominant in the early morning, especially when I wake up and have not yet fully awakened, and with respect to seasonal patterns with higher incidence in fall and late winter/early spring and none during the summer months - so far I have not been able to find a reasonable explanation for this though there appears to be a connection with atmospheric pressure changes as well as rapid fluctuations in temperature ranges and the timing of my episodes is very similar to that of seasonal variations of ulcers

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • My AF is also worse in the autumn / winter months and occurs much less during the late spring / summer months.

I too have pondered on why this is and considered whether it is because of the beneficial side effects from more sun / light? Although I guess if you don't live in the UK this might not apply 😀.

• Yes I think it is likely related to the lack of sunshine - I am in Ontario Canada and while we have a fair amount of sunshine, most people don't get nearly as much sunshine during the cold winter months when more activity is confined to indoors - I do supplement with Vitamin D to compensate but that doesn't appear to have much of an impact - it is well known that different seasons can impact different maladies but as of yet, it is not exactly clear why

• Might make for interesting research....

• Yes indeed but I haven't seen an abundance of research as of yet - the link below summarizes my exact experience - afib peaking in September with fewest attacks in June - I have had several episodes over the years in September and have never had one in June - guess which month I prefer to travel!

heartrhythmjournal.com/arti...

• Thanks for the link netpi.

I have just checked my history and since 2013 the majority of mine have definitely occurred between September and June.

What a good idea to travel when AF events are less likely to happen - had never thought about this link before so thank you. I will look at going away in July or August.

NooNoo

• Here's another link regarding seasonal variations - this one looks to be the best researched in terms of providing other research data - I am going to follow up the individual research findings but again we see the seasonal patterns as well as connection to temperature and air pressure - that one is of particular interest to me since I have repeatedly noticed a constellation of symptoms arriving along with low pressure changes in the weather

jafib.com/PMC/XML/Inprogres...

• Thanks for sending the link. I will set aside some time at the weekend to read it.

You may also like...