Nearly a year on from first diagnosis of Afib/ Aflutter (and much incompetence/disinterest/conflicting advice from my GP surgery later) I have at long last seen a cardiologist (his registrar) at my local hospital. He has advised that he will probably be referring me to an EP (they don't have them at Ipswich) and I will most likely be a suitable candidate for an ablation.
In the meantime after another 24 hr BP monitor (which didn't actually work very well most of the time) he has written to my GP asking for me to be started on Diltiazem for fairly mild hypertension and an anticoagulant.
When I called for an appointment to see my GP, who I have never seen before, he really only wanted a telephone consultation. I had so many questions for him which I would have been far happier asking face to face! (I really dislike this system) He managed to upset me as the first thing he said was that the registrar had indicated a Diltiazem dose which he considered too high for my situation, and whilst I am sure he knows what he is talking about it immediately made me question my Registrars knowledge...which is not a nice feeling.
The Registrar hadn't actually asked about my lifestyle, when discussing anticoagulants, Warfarin being the GP first drug of choice. I told the GP that I ride horses 4 or 5 times a week and help my daughter on her livery yard, so handling horses on a daily basis. I am not an adventurous rider (read.. wimp!) so don't intentionally do anything which may cause me to part company with my horse, but they can be unpredictable! Last year I didn't fall off at all, the year before I fell off twice! One of those falls did result in a huge haematoma on my thigh, the remains of which is still evident today. I am female, aged 59, fairly fit and well. My GP feels I should go back to the Cardiology dept. to discuss this risk further before starting on Warfarin, but is happy to start me on it if I make the decision.
Having no knowledge of Warfarin and how it may affect me if I bleed, I really don't know if there is an 'acceptable' risk level? I would be extremely unhappy for the rest of my life if I had to give up riding horses, but I would also be extremely unhappy or even dead if I had a stroke!
So...I know it will come down to personal choice but wonder if I could ask you all for your input/advice/experiences to help me make that decision.