Waking up Breathless

For the past two weeks I have been waking up in the night and also very early in the morning, really breathless.

I am always a bit breathless when walking but cannot understand how I can be so short of breath just sleeping. I have an adjustable bed and do have the top raised quite a bit.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated please.

Last edited by

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Enjoy. Sorry to hear this.

I would suggest you contact your GP and tell them of your plight. This breathing episodes might be indicative of problems arising, assuming AF is involved or not.

• When I was taking 10mg of Bisoprolol and woke up with AF I was sometimes breathless just turning over in bed. Is it the medication?

• Hi Enjoy,

It could be obstructive sleep apnea, which is very common with AF. Apparently the syptoms are that you wake up a bit breathless. There are online tests to indicate the likelihood of you having OSA (google OSA test).

Mark

• i agree- the test is easy- an oximeter on your finger tip for the night!

• I just wrote a post about the same issue , but I didn't mentioned that I'm having that at night or after wake up early morning

Currently I'm AF and SVT free , no medication , just ectopic beats but shortness of breath is really bad , the strange thing that while walking or activities it is a lot better

Can I ask what is your diagnosis?

• Thank you for your responses. The answer to your question Maitha is that I have Paroxymal AF and COPD/Asthma.

I took a puff of Ventolin just before going to bed last night and it was much better.

• Enjoy, do you normally have a problem with fluid retention? I do & when i wake breathless it is a good indication that i have fluid in my lungs.

Hope your GP can find an answer for you.

• I have Restrictive Lung Disease as well as AF and have sleep apnea episodes. The heart tablets could make a difference when you are going into heavy sleep and the body/breathing slows down but maybe a little too far?

I am always doing a balancing act with my tablets as they affect the two main conditions I have.

You may also like...