What is the difference between Cryo Ablation and Radio Frequency Ablation, i have been advised that the waiting list is shorter for the cryo

What is the difference between Cryo Ablation and Radio Frequency Ablation, i have been advised that the waiting list is shorter for the cryo ablation because the episodes of PAF are more frquent the EP sugested i have the cryo ablation rather than RF ablation which requires genearal aneathestic. He has also increased my medication from 5mg Bisprosol to 7.5mg and flecanide from 100mg to 150 mg.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • OK John, are you sitting comfortably.. Then I'll begin. (Listen with Mother 1948) RF ablation uses radio frequency to heat the tip of a catheter with which burns are made around the pulmonary veins where it is thought the rogue impulses start. Usually a line may also be drawn in dots across the atria lower down as well.

With cryo ablation, rather than a catheter with a radio tip a small balloon is inserted and usually liquid CO2 or similar used to freeze burn the area. By placing the cryo balloon in the entrance to the pulmonary veins a ring of freeze burn is created which many EPs believe is more robust than a series of dots.

Simples as the meerkat would say.

I'm sure you will find a fact sheet about this on the main website but that is it in 60 seconds.

Some EPs use a mix of both by the way.

I don't understand the comment about GA frankly. Many RF ablations are carried out under sedation rather than GA. I would always go for GA myself and was away with the fairies for all three of mine.

BobD

• I thought I had had sedation for all 3 of my ablations, but was completely knocked out, and was asleep for nearly 12 hours afterwards. Could I be wrong, and it was a general anaesthetic? Hard to tell when it goes into your arm via canula. I still don't know what they actually did, bit short of information.

Any comments, please Bob? C.

• Sorry different EPs have different methods.

B

• Thanks for your reply's I have had further difficulties in the last few days. I keep getting dizzy spells and going very light headed to the point I nearly passed out when shopping with the wife. It seems worst in the morning although it happens all through the day. If it carries on I will have to go back to GP. Don't really know what's brought this on.

You may also like...