As always I appreciate all of you. My 65 year old father has met with the oncologist for the first time ( he was in his early to mid 30’s only) so my father may replace him depending on what you all think here
All info in bio but here is a quick summary for advice needed PLEASE. I desperately want to make sure I do everything I can for my dad and he’s finally going to let me come to appointments with him.
1. September his CT and Bone scan showed no spread to any bones or organs other than a right 10mm illiac lymph node. Biopsy came back saying group 5 cancer most aggressive and quickest spreading (Gleason score 9)240mg of firmagon started followed by 80mg every month to come. This is not paired with anything else.
2. Oncologist my father met for first time today. Oncologist told my dad they need to redo a CT scan and bone scan since the last ones were 1st week of September. Oncologist says he can’t decide if my father is stage 3 or 4 yet as it will depend on new scans to see if anything has changed.
3. Oncologist then tells me father that he has 3-5 years to live but he says he can squeeze out 5 for my father. If the scans come back good with no further spread .. then it MAY be curable and In that case could get my father 10-15 years. If he decides that my father is not curable then he will advise the team to spread treatments out rather than go aggressive and by doing this he will live 5 years rather than 3 years
1. We see the radiologist for the first time December 9th. Should I go with him for this appointment and if so what should I be asking or bringing up to the radiologist
2. Now that my father is on firmagon, if they don’t do the new CT scan and bone scan until 3 weeks from now is that okay? Assuming firmagon will prevent cancer spreading any further meaning the 3 week wait is nothing to be concerned about ?
3. If they decide he is not curable. Do we accept this spread out treatment plan to give him 5 years. Or do we kick this oncologist aside to have someone with a more aggressive and positive approach to try and get 10+ years ?
4. Until the new CT scan and Bone Scan are complete. Is firmagon alone good? Or should he be doing more in the mean time regardless?
5. For someone who shows no distant spread .. is it normal to still hear 3-5 year expectancy? Even if these new scans come back and show some slight progression to a bone or spine.. it sounds like 5 years is still selling him short considering him being a very healthy 65 year old with NO other health issues and not obese or anything.
6. Is there any other advice to offer me here or are there any other questions that I should be asking and haven’t here ?