Advanced Prostate Cancer
5,495 members5,157 posts

Further news of Lu-177

afr.com/lifestyle/health/me...

Thoughts?

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes, I have been discussing this treatment option with my father in Australia vs Germany. He has failed all standard treatments here, we will found out on Thursday if Zytiga (after chemo ) is working. If not, then I think this is the treatment we are hoping will work to at least give us more years..

1 like

Heidelberg, definitely. They are at the forefront of using new ligands, new radioisotopes, and have done a lot of work on dosing.

2 likes

Thank you!

Dear Hubby is being treated at MD Anderson.

Local Doc recommends Lu 177 treatment with a doctor at Charité Hospital, Berlin. (CHarité doesn't show up anywhere as being "the place to go" for Lu 177.)

When patients are treated in Germany, is the interaction with US doctors seamless?

Is US doc expected to handle daily care/ treatment/ side effects? No one talks about the process beyond getting to Germany the first time.

If cost is $20k for first treatment, plus travel and incidentals, total out of pocket treatment probably exceeds $100k.

Why not try for the Nebraska study, or the one at Weill Cornell?

1 like

This treatment looks like all the others in that some men will benefit hugely, some not at all, and most somewhere in between. However a key difference is that the set of men who benefit would not seem to be related to how well they did on other treatments. If a guy lost the chemo and ADT lotteries, it's still possible he could win big in the LuPSMA lottery.

Have a look at the "before and after" scans in jlcwonderboy's link (3rd image down on the page.) The scans show tumors in red with PSA numbers at the bottom. It looks like the guys in this set of six scans were all big winners.

Alan

I did see before and after and I’m sure the chose the images that showed the most changes. There are many trials here in the US and yes they are available but show only some halt on cancer growth for maybe 4+ months. With the LuPSMA it seems that most that have discussed their treatments online here and other sites. They had a slowing of progression 8+ months if it was successful. I would like to know anyone that has tried this treatment and it failed. What is their history?

We have tried all standard treatments and all we get is bad news l... my fathers PSA has been skyrocketing by the day. He held stable 18-20’s when on chemo, and has never decreased. Once he stopped chemo in 1 month it went from 23 to 80 and 2 weeks later 80 to 98.. I am praying that the Zytiga will show some decrease at least buy is a few months to research which option is the next best step..

Here at UCLA they have the same treatment, and it’s around the same cost. They only do a maximum of 2 treatments. Soon they will have a trial starting they are awaiting IRB. The patients will be randomized for the study either standard of care or the actual treatment. This is the most I know about LuPSMA here in the US.

I would love to hear experiences from anyone here if they have failed or how long between treatments.

1 like

I believe there’s a trial at Cornell as well.

Are the current trials here in the US the same as the treatment in Germany? I've been waiting for Endocyte's announcement for their US trials. They reported their earnings today. Their conference call should be available to the public and interesting to listen to:

endocyte.com/

investor.endocyte.com/event...

fwiw, another one to watch with their PSMA imaging agent. It looks like they may have something to detect small molecule???

progenics.com/product-pipel...

1 like

Thanks Wonderboy. Anything that gives me hope for so many of our brothers gives me a fantastic early morning lift.

1 like

The crooks at the FDA stated they have resolved the long lead times to bring a new treatment to the market. Then how come LU-177 PSMA is not available in the U.S. Why should PCa patients have to go to Germany...if the treatment is good enough for the Germans it is good enough for us...this is BS

4 likes

It looks good to me, with the exception of the dose limiting toxicity at the salivary glands. There is also a 225Actinium payload that gives off alpha radiation, so that seems potentially better.

1 like

You may also like...