Non-Stimulants : Hi all, So my 10 year... - CHADD's ADHD Pare...

CHADD's ADHD Parents Together

11,777 members3,917 posts



Hi all,

So my 10 year old son has not been doing well on Focalin and he didn’t do well on adderall either. Both medication I feel add anger and aggressive behaviors. His emotions are all over the place and very depressed at time. On the medication he does well in school with focus and engaging in class but at home he’s a mess. My question is has anyone had success with non stimulants or mood stabilizers for these concerns. Any advice?

3 Replies

try and get them an iep or 504 plan

It's important to understand your rights as a parent. Additionally, when establishing a 504 plan or an IEP the district can provide you an advocate at no cost in order to accompany you. You can also contact a non-profit educational attorney within your region. In most cases they charge you little to no cost depending on your income. It is also important to establish additional time on State Testing even if your child's current School says that it is not necessary. The reason why you want to get this establish early on is, because once your child is in high school it's harder to get these accommodations approved. As so many other parents are trying to get these accommodations approved, so that way their child has additional time on the SAT's. Moreover, you want to also make sure that you have the right documentation in place, so that this way you can properly protect your child. For example a neuropsychologist or a pediatrician that specializes in behavior management and disabilities. Now this doesn't necessarily mean that you have to get rid of your child's current pediatrician as they both specialize in different fields. I would also look for a therapist that also has a background in education. All of these entities should be able to correspond with your child's school in order to make sure that your child has an individual plan that fits their needs. I really good professional will also offer to attend these meetings. A Therapist that have a background in education can also assist your child once they become an adult; with additional accommodations when they enter College. With all these resources in place it makes it very hard for the school to push your child out of school district. It also provides you with the necessary documentation in order for you to plead your case just in case you have to go to court, Child Protective Services want to communicate with you or your child gets in trouble with the law. If your child gets in trouble with the law you can always contact your local non-profit attorney who specializes in juvenile crimes.

Cjlyn in reply to klarashephard

Yes he is on an IEP, and thank you very much for the information! Lots to look into.

klarashephard in reply to Cjlyn

no problem

You may also like...