D102 Genetic Test and other genetic tests

Hi All

I would like to ask about the above test - if you find you have one or both of the faulty genes, is there anything that can be done to treat you ? Or is it a big fat 'nothing' and thats why Regenerus insist on £60 worth of 'counselling' ?

Someone on here did write about this test, and they followed it up by more detailed testing from 123andMe ? I would like to know what could I expect the 123andMe test to show up? An answer to the cause of one's autoimmune disease ?

9 Replies

• The test is DIO2 (that is three letters and a number - not one letter and three numbers). The gene is also commonly called DIO2!

I point this out so that you stand a better chance of finding the information you are looking for!

• Daffers, if DIO2 testing shows you have the impairment which affects T3 conversion it may help you get T3 prescribed in addition to Levothyroxine IF your endo understands it, and IF the CCG permits prescribing of T3.

I've seen members distressed and worried by their gene testing results because they didn't have an interpretation which presumably comes when the counselling option is taken up.

• Yes I see how it might well be distressing. hadn't thought it through properly.

• The research so far shows that patients with primary hypothyroidism (a failing thyroid gland) don't do quite so well in cognitive tests if they are treated th levothyroxine only. There is nothing to suggest that those with healthy thyroids are in any way disadvantaged. About 40% of the population have the polymorphism in one gene and 16% in both genes.

• Thank you for explaining. I thought I had primary but have now (after 10 years) been diagnosed Hashimotos. So I guess I don't have a healthy thyroid and might benefit from the test ?

• Hashimoto's is an autoimmune condition that attacks the thyroid gland leading to primary hypothyroidism. I believe it is the most common reason for hypothyroidism.

• I have had the test and been found to be heterozygous. I now have T3 in additional to T4 and my symptoms have improved

• I'm glad you are benefitting from T3 added to T4. I think I will have test.

Was just worried when they said you'd need counselling -what nasties might show up!

• I don't know about the 123andMe test and someone who does will respond.

Re the D102 gene test - if it is positive it means one cannot convert levothyroxine to sufficient T3 and therefore remains quite unwell. T3 may be the only hormone that can make them feel well as it is the Active hormone we all require to function normally.

One member's doctor took no notice of her positive D102 test but another Endo did take notice of his patient's test.

You may also like...