Does anybody suffer from ptosis? I have problems with both upper eyelids when I'm tired. I know it can occur with both hypo & hyper. According to an article on Medlink 'Ptosis occurs in 50% to 75% of hypothyroid patients' - interesting read (cache only)

Last edited by

7 Replies

• Anybody?

No muscle problems in eyelids?

• Hi I am hyperthyroid and although I have mo diagnosis of ptosis I have had droopimg of my left eyelid since I was in my twenties. My right eye looks bigger than my left as my right looks a bit closed .Do you have this problem?

• Meant left looks bit closed!

• Hi sazzyb. Never heard of it before but I've just looked it up and the funny thing is my right top eyelid does droop a bit. I've only noticed this over the past few months. I guess that might be what I've got!

• Hi p1pp1ns & Caroline,

Thanks for replying. I'm intrigued about this muscle problem because although the article says 'Ptosis occurs in 50% to 75% of hypothyroid patients' I've never met anybody else with the problem other than people with Myasthenia which is an autoimmune neuromuscular disease. (I was tested for it about 9 years ago but was seronegative.) The neurologist said it could be Horner's syndrome but I don't think so because I believe you only sweat on one half of your face with it. My lid droops when I'm tired, in the evenings I can feel the muscle getting fatigued then the lid closes. Often when I wake in the morning one of my eyelids won't open, mainly my right lid but sometimes my left, it can either take a few minutes or even up to half an hour before I can open my eye. Can be annoying if I'm in a rush! Can either of you feel the lid muscle getting tired? This is a good read and mentions thyroid disease:

• Hi no not noticed it any more tired than the normal one? Having looked at images of ptosis it does look like mine! I have noticed for 30 years you can seemore of one eye than the other !

• I don't feel so alone now! Mine shows in photos (when I'm tired) In the family pics at Christmas there's me with one eye half shut, and that's without a drink, lol. Didn't even realise until the pics were developed.

You may also like...