The support groups are for the minority of patients who can have the operation. To quote the web site:
Support Near You
These meetings are held for patients who have had, or are about to have, major surgery for the removal of part (or all) of their oesophagus and stomach.
According to the Cancer Research UK only between 20 and 30 out of 100 people are able to have treatment to try to cure their cancer (20 to 30%). Why is there no support offered to the other 70% to 80%, i.e. the majority of us? It is only people who have the operation that get invited to the meetings and no effort is made for the rest of us.
I know that the OPA will not allow any mention dying of cancer in front of people who are about to have or have had the operation so they exclude those of us to whom this is a major concern.
My question is should the OPA be an inclusive organisation for all patients or should it continue to exclude the majority so as not to upset the minority who may be cured?
In the meantime I will continue with my self help group of one but at times I wish it was larger.