Has Omeprazole stopped working?

Hello everyone

I take Omeprazole 20mg once a day and have been for the past 13 yrs. All of a sudden it has stopped working, getting bad pain, especially burning in my throat, so I have started taking it twice a day, morning and evening before meals. Still no effect. I did try taking 40mg in the morning instead and that has made it worse! My doc says to persevere taking it twice a day a little longer but usually in the past it has worked almost straight away...........not this time! Has anyone else had problems after taking it for such a long time?

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have found that different makes sometimes are not effective. I take esomeprozole as omeprazole stopped working for me but different makes don't work as well as others. I did ask my consultant if I was correct and he said I was. I have taken these for fourteen years 40mg

• Thank you Holman, I do seem to be using the same make all the time!

• Following oesophagectomy I was put on omeprazole. It turned out that I was suffering bile reflux not acid reflux. PPI drugs make symptoms worse. See my other posts for more information. I have recently found that taking a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a carbonate drink has been of great benefit in stopping bile reflux. The burning throat is typical of bile reflux.

• Thank you AlanWare, will look into that.

• Something has changed, and it really needs to be checked out. It might be that there is something causing extra reflux, or it might be bile. But the whole principle behind taking medication long term is that it should be reviewed and checked every so often, ands you do need to persist until it gets resolved.

• Thank you. Will go and get checked out.

• My cure for acid reflux and oesophagitis. You start with apple cider vinegar unfiltered raw with the mother , ginger turmeric cayenne pepper freshly squeezed lemon and limes,orange and and or grapefruit do enough to make about a pint, and add a half pint of water keep in fridge.use a little glass put one/two table spoons of the vinegar then add ginger,tumeric,and cayenne pepper.All 3 just a tip of a teaspoon cayenne pepper is really hot,then add the juice about one inch in the glass take this twice a day before meals it goes against the grain taking a drink that's so acidic but that's why it works it takes about 2weeks to kick in and it's not very nice to drink ,you may get a bit of upset belly for a couple days while you are doing this just take a a antacid not pp inhibitors please let me know if u r going to try and if u do let me know how you get on all the best fina's

• Dear tynealy,

These antacids only giving a false sense of relief. In the process the disease severity continues to grow. Ultimately it reaches a stage where even the false relief is not visible. Your best solution is managing your diet.

You may also like...