How long are the side affects of radiotherapy

I had a gastrectomy march 6th this year but needed to have 5 weeks intensive Radiotherapy to "mop up".From the second day of treatment i have had severe nausea and vommiting causing me to lose far o much weight, i have tried every anti sickness med going to no avail, has anyone else had side affects like this and what have the done o ease them, i have until thursday this week to gain a few pounds or they are giving me a feeding tube, so no pressure there, also helpful things to eat would be good , thanks in advance..

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi there,

I too suffered nausea and vomiting during radio therapy. I ended up staying in a hospital ward and the travelling was too difficult. I requested the feeding tube to be put in so that I didn't have to worry about calories. I was also put on a anti sickness sub cutainous driver, which give drugs just under the skin to ensure they are absorbed. I had to do this since taking the drugs orally had no effect. Along with opmeprazole I had nosinand, which worked great. I stuck to simple foods like buttered toast.

I wouldn't worry too much about the feeding tube, I've had a few of them in the past and you would be amazed at the speed of weight gain. Good luck and hope some of this info helps.

Jay

• Sorry for the delay, your post is very helpful, i still haven't had the feeding tube but feel its going to be an option pretty soon, i am very interested in the sickness cutainous driver as oral anti-sickness i ot working for me either, how effective has this been for you ? many thanks

• I think Jay is right. If you need the feeding tube, then it will probably take the pressure off your system and give you the nutrition you need for a while.

Keep experimenting to try and get some improvement with the nausea. Ultimately keeping nutritional input is more important than what weight you are.

If you can leave a message on 0121 704 9860 they will send you a recipe book that might help.

• Thanks Alan i will send for the book, im gradually coming round to the idea of a tube as still not holding food down, thanks for your reply

You may also like...