21,819 members25,433 posts


I've just signed up today. I have been unwell for a while. I had carpel tunnel release on both hands last year and i thought that was all that was wrong with me. Since then my grip is better but symptoms have started in other areas. My RF is negative but CRP is 28 and ESR is 34 (i think that's right). Was due to go to see Rheum. in February but my GP has managed to get me seen sooner as i can hardly stay awake at the moment. I am constantly tired and feel generally unwell. I am apparently going to clinic to start treatment on Monday. Does this mean i have RA?

9 Replies

Hello Winnie,

Your GP must feel that you have something going on that is linked to rheumatology because of your referral, from experience they do seem to want good evidence before doing that, particularly if you are going to start treatment. Your GP must be really on the ball to get things moving quickly for you.

The good news is that even if it is ra, there are drugs that can modify the disease and i am so sure that before long we will have a cure - there is alot of research going on.

I hope you will get some answers on Monday, finding out what is wrong is sometimes a relief as the uncertainity of an unknown ailment that is causing problems is such a worry.

All the best.


Thanks ever so much x


Hi Winnie, so sorry to hear of your suffering, I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly and manage to get you some medication that provides relief for you.

Let us know how you get on after appointment on Monday, you'll find lots of support and advise here as we are all in the same boat.

Take care. xx


Thanks, will let you know how Monday goes x


Hi Winnie. We can't tell you whether you have RA or not but as Mads says your GP obviously thinks something is going on to refer you to a rheumatologist. Both your CRP and ESR are a bit raised but not through the roof, so whatever you have wrong it is most probably in the early stages - so if you are diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis/ RA it should be fairly easy to get it under control with appropriate medication. Good luck and let us know how you get on. Tilda x


Good luck for the referral and welcome x

Keep us posted x


Hi Winnie

Pleased to see you've had some good responses on here. As everyone's said, you won't know for certain whether or not it's RA until you see the rheumatologist, who will make the official diagnosis. Hopefully whether it's RA or something else you will get a diagnosis soon, as there's obviously something going on, and the sooner you know what you're dealing with the sooner you can start getting treatment for it, and will hopefully start to feel better.

If it is RA it can be very treatable and you will get a lot of support on here. You are also welcome to call our helpline, which is open Mon-Fri 9.30-4.30 on 0800 298 7650.

The following articles on our website might also be useful to you at this stage:

Article about the blood tests used in diagnosing RA:

Article on what to expect from your initial hospital consultations:

Hope that helps!


(NRAS helpline)


It could be RA, or it could be another form of inflammatory arthritis (spondyloarthritis), but its great you have been referred to rheumalogy because thats definitely the right specialist for you.


Ive had carpal tunnel done twice, the last time consultant said he would do it but wasnt sure how helpful it would be as he could feel the arthritis noddules in both my hands. He did say if i wanted to he would do decompression of the elbows as that might be more helpful.


You may also like...