Need advice

i was advised by my doctor to come off Leflunamide and Gabapentin as my back pai was worse when I was on it , so after stopping both these drugs a week later I am covered in psoriasis I had a appt with the dermatologist last week and she has said the sun and the light treatment are what helps, she gave me some lotion and cream and as I going to California next Saturday she is sure it will help. I was wondering if this has happened because I have come off the immune suppressant drugs ,I had a small patch of psoriasis 45 years ago but no other outbreaks. My daughter has had it for 30 years so I know a bit about it.I was looking forward to my trip, I am staying with my cousin and will get plenty of sunshine but I feel a bit self conscious about it.

Has anyone had this happen to them and if they have is there any advice, sorry to moan as I was feeling so much better with the RD .

Jane , warm hugs to all who are in pain x

4 Replies

• Hi Angysmum,

were you advised to come off the leflunomide and gabapentin by your GP or by your rheumatologist? It's not clear.

Beverley (NRAS Helpline)

• Hi Beverley, by my GP, I had been on antibiotics on two separate occasions and had felt so much better when I wasn't taking the Leflunamide , my doctor asked me to try the Leflunamide for 2 weeks just to make sure it was them and after the first week I could hardly walk again, I don't see the rheumatologist until October and don't know what she will say. My GP changed the Gabapentin to Amitriptyline as I was getting a bit fuddled.

• Hi Angysmum,

Leflunomide isn't the only DMARD to treat RA. It may be worth your while trying to get an earlier appointment to see your rheumatologist. Easier said than done I know. You could try for a cancellation appointment.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy the California sunshine!

• Thanks Beverley, I was on Sulfasalazine for over 10 years then on methotrexate for 18 months then Leflunamide for 8 months so have tried other drugs I just hope the warm sunshine will give me a boost.

Thanks for your help.

You may also like...