In all my attempts to get free I don't think I've ever sat and put down all the reasons why I want to stop smoking so here goes.....
1) I lost both my parents to smoking related illnesses, my father when I was 19 and my mother in 2013. I'm 30 years old and feel very angry that they are not stlll here. I do not want to do the same to my nearly 3 year old son.
2) It is affecting my health. I'm fed up of waking up each morning feeling like i've a constant head cold and the cough, well its starting to get worse and its scaring me. I get out of breath way to easy.
3) I'm tried of being controlled by the little monster and hate how I put it before everything else for example when my son asks me to play with him and I say mammy needs a smoke first. Also how I have to have my 'fix' before I do anything in the morning including getting my son his breakfast (shameful).
4) I hate the smell. Anytime I have quit and smelt other smokers, it truely is revolting. I smell like that, yuck.
5) It is so antisocial. I'm fed up feeling like the leaper standing out in the cold all to get a fix of my drug.
6) It makes live more stressful, fed up with thoughts do I have enough to do me. How will i purchase more when i'm out at lunchtime with my bro in law without getting the lecture from him.
7) I want to get freedom from the guilt and the shame that something has a hold over me and I'm killing myself. How can I be so stupid when i've witnessed first hand the damage it can do.
8) I want to spend my hard earned money wisey rather than spending it on a poision which will kill me.
9) I want to be free of that voice in my head that tells me, you need this to survive and get through life. We werent born with cigs in our mouths.
I will probably add to this list going forward but for now I think this is enough to spur me into action.