No Smoking Day
2,570 members31,305 posts

One man's story

Found the attached elsewhere on the interweb. Relates to the 'baby steps' often spoken of on this forum, but nicely summed up from this person's experience. Worth a read, see what you think!

"No lectures, for sure. I quit a hundred times. But about thirty years ago I decided to try a new approach, based on AA. Addictive behavior is addictive behavior, after all. I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Instead of quitting -- the very thought of it made me desperate for a cigarette -- I asked myself "can I go sixty seconds without a cigarette if I know that at the end of sixty seconds I can chain a whole pack if I decide to?" I dug out an old wind-up timer and tried it. Answer was yes.

At the end of one minute, I asked myself the same question again. Answer was yes again. After a while, I upped the time to two minutes, but always said "but don't forget: at the end of two minutes I may decide to smoke one or fifty cigarettes. I'll decide in two minutes."

Then I went to three minutes, then four, then five. Then it was time for bed. My question now became: "Can I go to sleep without a cigarette?" Answer was yes, provided I promised myself that whenever I woke up, whether an hour or six hours or eight hours later, I would make a decision then about whether or not to smoke.

Upon awakening, I started back at one minute, then two, etc.

I never committed myself to anything. I told myself over and over that after a minute, or five, or an hour, I could easily decide to smoke as much as I wanted. For me, the lack of any commitment, or resolution, or promise to myself, was the crucial factor. If you don't resolve to do anything, you can't fail.

Over a period of several days, I got up to an hour. Always there was the promise that at the end of the hour I could make any choice I wanted, without any guilt. (That's an important part).

Going one hour at a time, or one minute at a time with triggers like the telephone or after a meal, I found myself a few weeks later going several hours at a time and thinking about smoking less and less.

Eventually, it was a day at a time, then two, etc. The interesting part was that after a while I found myself not thinking about smoking for longer and longer periods. Then, when the urge was triggered, I'd say to myself, "one minute and then decide." An hour later, I might remember that the minute had been over for a long time. If thinking that made me want to smoke, I'd say,"Of course I can have a cigarette right now. But can I wait one minute?" Then I'd get distracted and an hour, several hours, or a day, would go by without my thinking about it.

I'm still a heavy smoker. I just haven't had a cigarette in thirty years. Right now, I'm reminding myself that I didn't quit; I'm just not smoking at the moment. I may decide in a few minutes to run down to the corner to buy a carton and start puffing -- or maybe I won't. No promises, no commitments.

I think it's been weeks or months since I thought about smoking. I'm only thinking about it now because the subject came up. After all these years, you'd think I could call myself a non-smoker. But the very term could turn me into a smoker again, so I don't even like a term like "recovering." I'll avoid any expression that smacks of permanence.

I'm wondering if a technique like this would work on controlling carbs? "I really want an English muffin and a glass of milk right now. Can I wait five minutes and then decide?" Etc. etc.

I guess the psychology of this approach for the addictive personality (I'm definitely a food addict) has to do with finality. If I knew I'd never again be able to eat a huge baked, ice cream dessert at 100 carbs, I'd be looking for the car keys right now. But can I go a minute, or ten minutes, or an hour before making that decision? Of course I can. And I won't feel deprived if I know I can always do it whenever I decide to. It's words like "forever" and "never" that will push me into immediate bingeing.

Tom"

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Wow. Thanks for posting that Egg. :)

Brilliant..... That could work for me ;) really really like that....

thats good

am doing it like that , only giving up until tomorrow, think am 3 months not even having a drag , and got to say don't need one or want one, don't think about them all day , but i no i will have one if i wanted to, so in a way am quiting every day .if you no what i mean , until i have not had a cig for a year then the quit still on X

Well worth the read, thanks for sharing.

Love your choice of user name by the way :D

You may also like...