No Smoking Day
2,654 members31,361 posts

Quit day 22/5

Having quit smoking three years ago I am horrified to find myself having to go through it all again. As a heavy smoker I as so pleased to be rid of my addiction. However I made the fatal mistake of thinking that I could have the odd one socially about 18 months ago. Once a week I was having one or two when I was out. I really thought I was in control of it - how stupid is that. Then earlier this year I started smoking one eveing a week at home. I would wait until an evening when every one was out and then 'treat' myself to a night of smoking. I didn't enjoy the cigareetes at all but liked the ritual that went with it - going out into the garden for some peace and quiet and a fag. In the last two weeks this has started to creep up and I have been smoking every evening, probably about 5 a night. In the last few days though I am back on 20 a day. I am so cross with myself and heartbroken that I have got to this stage. This morning I got up and had a cigarette. It made me feel so ill I fainted. I have not been sleeping in the last week as I lay awake convinced that I have now done loads of damage to my health.

I have set my quit date as Tuesday 22 May and focusing on all the things I did last time to stop. I am scared though that I will not be able to do it but feeling determined. I keep telling myself that i have done it once so I can do it again. I am looking forward to being free of the nicotine monster and will not make the mistake of thinking i can have the odd one again!

2 Replies
oldestnewest

Hello Jane,

I did the same as you :rolleyes: social smoking 'my arse! what was we thinking?

My friend is the same, shes not quitting yet but is back on 20 a day.

So you are not alone! you will not find it as hard as last time, each quit is easier and having background and knowledge on both being a non smoker and on quitting makes it easier too.

Good Luck for tuesday and we are all here right behind you!

Buffy

Thanks for that Buffy. It really helps to hear that others have similar experiences.

Jane

You may also like...