Given a death sentence!!

Hello.My name is Pam.I just cleared the hcv.Now I find out I have cirrhosis. What a bummer.My dr.will put me on a transplant list. Until then,all I can do is eat right,drink lots of water-you know stuff that's good for my body.No salt!!! I will fight tho.The only med's I'm on is spironolactone(25 mg.)It's a water pill to reduce the fluid in my belly.It's working,thank goodness.So I'm new to all this.Could use some feedback.Thanks. PS.I have stage 4.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi pam -b , sorry to hear your news . I too was diagnosed with Cirrosis in 2008 but mine is chronic ALD . I have been on spiranalacone in the past , my highest ever dose was 200 mg a day plus 100 mg of fruozemide which did not help , I looked pregnant with twins ! My tummy , Ankles and legs were full of fluid . I was admitted to hospital as an emergency in July 2008 . I was there for around 6 weeks where I was drained 3 times to take away the fluid . So today I am still here thank the Lord , I am on w now sodium diet and I make all my meals from scratch .even Curry . I drink green and herbal less only and sugar free water . Almond millk and coconut or rice milk . I am on thiamine tablets , b12 . Diazepam for anxiety and sertraline for depression . As yet I am not on any transplant list , I have regular check ups every 6 months on my LFT . awaiting results of my recent one .i was told I would need a transplant as that would be my only option but I take care in my Heath as much as I can . You are not alone here . There is a lot of lovely people on here and all very supportive and friendly . If there is anything you would like to ask me at any time you are very welcome .. Best wishes Linda X

• Thanks so much Millie09.Wow-sounds like you are doing pretty good!! Am so glad for you!! Keep on going strong! Well I actually was diagnosed in 2010 with stage 3-4.Didn't really know I had it till a couple of weeks ago.(There's a story behind that but I won't get into that right now!) I cleared the virus a year ago but didn't get tested until very recently & found out that I cleared the virus.(Harvoni) And I haven't drank but 3 times in the last 11 years, the last time was 2 years ago so that has helped my liver a lot! Omg,when I found out I had cirrhosis, I really thought I was going to die in about a month!! I was already trying to give some of my stuff to my family! Anyway I am going to fight like you.I'm going to eat like I'm supposed to(Right now I don't have the money to buy the good fruits & stuff.) But I have already started-no salt,No sweets right now & stuff like that.So I too will fight on!! The consequences of my actions when I was a lot younger! But I don't dwell on that much.Can't! Anyway I will talk to you again. I will definitely get on here again.I feel better already! I don't quite feel all alone! Thanks again for talking to me.Best wishes for you Millie09!!

• Your very welcome Pam-b , I try my best and that's all I can do , I have no doubt in my mind that you will be ok ! Like myself , when I was told I Had Cirrosis that was it , I was convinced I was going to die , yet 8 years on thank the lord I am still here , not even under the care of the hospital . Even small changes to your diet to begin with is going to be beneficial to you . Not many people I don't think are told much except to have low sodium diet but the liver thrives of good nutrition giving it time to repair and regenerate ! Well done on making the first step ! Here if you need to chat ever again . Best wishes Linda

• Hi , if you have just finished treatment of HCV, you need to allow about six months for the liver to settle , and recover . Its probably having a huge sigh of relief right now that it is no longer being attacked. In some people there has been quite a large lessening of the damage after treatment. All stage 4 means is you have cirrhosis, it is not a death sentence . Life is a death sentence , as we all have to go sometime. I know people who have had cirrhosis for 10-20 years who are still going strong.

The dose of Spiro you are on is the lowest you can get, which indicates you have very little ascites . Like Milliee I had drains , and was on 200 of Spiro for a while . I now have not taken any diuretics , and as confirmed by ultra sound have no ascites for 18 moths. Follow a good diet , all home made, low salt , good fats only , although not too heavy on the fat . Low sugar too. Lots of fresh fruit and veg . I would suggest a good quality priobotic as well , as your gut will thank you and you will absorb the nutrients better. I have been told they don think I will ever need a transplant now , and I will live to have "old bones" , my consultants words. Don't forget about exercise its very important too , gets more oxygen flowing around the body , which all your organs will thank you for.

Its early days for you yet , and you are in the first throws of a grieving process, and in shock . In time you will come to terms with the fact you have cirrhosis. I live a normal life , and expect to for many years if not decades. Just remember you are still the same person , you ARE not your diagnosis.

• Hi Bermuda 1. Can I just say what a great inspiring post . I am so glad to hear how well you are doing ! Like myself I have a very healthy diet , green and herbal teas .plenty of veg , chicken etc .. I am no longer on spironalactone . Not for over a year now . No longer under the hospital just my GP . So glad you could help pam -b as I was not familiar with her treatment . Keep going ! Best wishes Linda X

• Hi Bermuda. Thanks a lot for your reply! Wow-your gonna have old bones!! I know how nice that was to hear!! I'm going to try & do that too.And I'm so happy for you. Yes I thought it was a death sentence but now I see that if you take good care of yourself & eat the right foods & stuff that maby I too can live a normal life! Thank you Bermuda for getting back to me.Oh yeah-my Dr. said he will put me on a transplant list. Wishing you the best & keep up the good work!!!