Sticky Blood-Hughes Syndrome Support

please explain 'charity' medical

I've been on this forum for about a year, and it's been helpful. Since I am from the US, and not the UK, I am not too familiar with the medical system there. I keep reading in many posts about the Charity doctors, etc. Could someone please explain what this is. Do you have to go through some kind of organization in order to see a doctor? I am just curious so that I can understand when I read some of the posts.

3 Replies

Hi our forum is attached to the Hughes Syndrome Foundation charity website, on that site and this forum we have a list of specialists recommended for people with Hughes Syndrome/APS. MaryF


I have just searched 'charity doctors' on this site and cannot find any refs in the context that you appear to be thinking of. In the UK I am not aware of any system of charity doctors that might treat anyone in the way you suggest.

There are many charities doing sterling work, for example HSF, Macmillan nurses etc, and as Mary says, they can often identify specialist doctors in their given fields. Most of us are, in the first instance, treated by our own General Practiotioner, or NHS hospitals where delivery of treatment should be free. We have mostly all paid into 'the system' in taxes of one sort or another to fund this. We also have the ability to pay privately to see, or be treated by, private doctors. (some of us may have medical insurance to cover this)

Hope that helps.


thanks for the info. It's a little different here in the US. We are all pretty much on our own, and depending upon which medical insurance you pay for, you can see a doctor in the "network" and your insurance will cover it, or as you say, private doctor on your own. Then depending upon your plan, you may have to pay out of pocket.

Once you are on Medicare,(government) you can choose any doctor who participates with Medicare and your visit is with no charge. But we have to pay Medicare every month to be insured.


You may also like...