My mum had experienced some PCS after a head injury. She is in her 80s. She has been improving and her memory is much better. Her head injury seems to have made her more cautious and scared than before. This is going to have very serious consequences for her.
I have sent this question to headway's help line. Does anyone have any advice via the forum? Would really appreciate it.
Mum has osteoarthritis in her hip. The other hip was replaced 8 years ago by a fantastic consultant and has been fine. She has every confidence in him. The GP referred her to him for the other hip. Mum walks with a stick and it is getting more uncomfortable. She has virtually no cartilage left in the hip now. He agreed to replace it in January and she has been on the list. She had tests and they performed an ECG. These were fine.
She has got a date for the op now. A letter came on May 5th. She has to respond soon as the op will be in June. She should have already confirmed it.
She is now saying she is not going to have it done as she is frightened. She is too tired and older now, but nurses and the team will care for her
when it is done. She will get help from family and a carer post op.
The consultant said it was ok to have it as it would improve her quality of life but she would take a bit longer to get over it as she is older.
He outlined the risks and benefits. If she does not have surgery, she will lose her independence and mobility.
I asked mum if we could go to the GP and ask her opinion or find out why she is tired before she refused surgery. Mum refused to visit the GP.
In desperation, I asked the GP to call her which she did. The GP says she should have it done in June and get it over with as they will just remove her from the waiting list if she asks for a later date. She is not necessarily going to feel more energetic if she leaves it till later. The GP says she can do no more if mum does not take her chance now.
Mum's brother and her best friend have tried to call her about it as well.
Mum now sometimes puts the phone down on me when I call her. She told me to get out of the house as well.
Last ditch attempt, would referral to a psychologist help in case we can convince her to go or have a session at home.
Mum matches some of the symptoms outlined in the booklets on emotional reactions post head injury and personality changes.
She has never been this way about surgery and took it in her stride, including bowel operations. Without the op she will end up in a wheel chair and have greater risks of falls where a break would be very hard to mend.
I'm out of my mind with worry and powerless to help. I've tried to explain to her how important the op is and what will happen if she does not have it but
she does not listen as she is so scared. She says she is stewed up, but she does know it needs to be done... She keeps saying just not right now as if she
wants to postpone it.