COPD and Exposure to Fiberglass?

Hi,

I was diagnosed at 52 one year ago. Funny thing is I never had any symptoms and never smoked (also not A1A deficient). I was a personal trainer and in excellent health. However, two weeks before the diagnosis I accidentally inhaled a heavy does of FR-4 epoxy coated fiberglass. My lungs hurt the same day followed by months of bronchitis, chest pain and shortness of breath.

Pulmonologist told mean a COPD cannot be caused by even a one time heavy does of such material. On line research has backed this up stating that unlike asbestos, fiberglass shards are cleared from the lungs within a few weeks and should cause no long term issues for infrequent exposure. It's only chronic exposure in which the body never gets a chance to clear the lungs that causes problems.

But I have been to the ER twice for other things and they all tell me I have COPD and now I have great shortness of breath and it's been a year since I inhaled the fiberglass.

Is this COPD? Anyone else experience something like this?

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello.my first post...i have copd amd like you it siddenly was there..l also inhaled fumes from roofing felt which had to be heated to apply...who knows..

• Might just be you'll be in a rough patch for a while and completely recover. MSDS for roofing pitch talks about irritation and acute effects but nothing long term.

I knew a guy who tiled his bathroom floor with the door shut (no ventilation). He inhaled the fumes from the glue and it actually gluing his lungs shut! He turned blue and they rushed him to the hospital where they lavaged his lungs. That was years ago, but he's perfectly fine now.

You may also like...