If there’s one thing you would tell someone newly diagnosed with Psoriasis what would it be?

If there’s one thing you would tell someone newly diagnosed with Psoriasis what would it be?

For most people diagnosis throws up a heap of unanswered questions that can be quite bewildering. And the odds are most people diagnosed won’t know anyone who has had Psoriasis to get the ‘birds-eye’ view of what to expect going forward. Look back at your own experience and try to think if there’s anything YOU would have like to have been told.

Last edited by

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Having suffered psoriasis on my legs and now feet i would say best advice is not to scratch it.

I know its harder than said BUT i had help from my cat every time i went to scratch my legs feet I would find my cat attacking me

• Be prepared for greasy treatments, unsympathetic doctors and nosey people asking what is wrong with your skin or if you have dandruff.

Expose yourself to information, live as healthily as you can and be positive.

For the bad days have the right outfit for cover ups so that you can be comfortable and therefore confident.

• The one thing that has helped me is not, on the face of it, the most cheerful. And that is accepting that psoriasis does not seem to be curable. But ..... there are loads of all-important 'buts': it can vary hugely in severity, even in one individual, it can go into remission for years, just when you think you can't handle it anymore it might suddenly respond to treatment and improve rapidly ..... there's always hope and treatments are always improving too.

• This is a hard question for me as I've has Ps since birth so known nothing else, it has ebbed and flowed to over the years, never completely gone away. However I would say that stress plays a very important part, and to limit it wherever you can. The itchiness is at its highest then along with the spread. If you cut or graze yourself you'll likely get Ps there afterwards. Find a very good hairdresser they will give you the confidence to have your hair washed and cut especially if your scalp is full of it.

• Psoriasis seems to come in many degrees of discomfort and distressing appearance. I've been one of the lucky ones. My psoriasis has been mostly in my scalp, hidden by my very thick hair. I didn't know what it was for years and years. I just knew it itched. Somehow I gravitated to coal tar shampoo that got rid of the psoriasis for a couple of days at a time. I covered the awful smell with a nice smelling shampoo right after the coal tar shampoo. I had to wash my hair every 3rd day or suffer from itching and flaking that could result in bleeding. Not much of a problem at all compared to what other people go through.

Regularly I'd get a reddish spot or two with some white skin that would peel on my face. I had a prescription of Desonide cream for that. Still not too tragic. Now that I've learned to relax quite a bit more than in my old days where I was far too stressed out, my psoriasis seems to have vanished from my scalp completely and I have only the rarest spot on my face. I'd say I am an example of one of the most fortunate people to ever have psoriasis.

• I would also have to admit that I'll say, it's very hard to accept but psoriasis can be managed but there is no cure. Find the things that work best for you, not everyones psoriasis is the same.

• I forgot to mention that for plaque psoriasis, if you can take a good dip in the ocean, you can reduce the severity of the plaques. I only know this second hand. From the site called "Everyday Health" I found this information: "Add Dead Sea salts (or Epsom salts) to a warm bath and soak for 10 to 15 minutes. The salt helps to soften scales so that they'll fall off more easily. Be sure to apply moisturizer after your bath. " This site and others have many other suggestions that may work for plaques.

• Never apologize for being somewhere just because someone is uncomfortable looking at your skin. Rehearse some comebacks or practice standing your ground if you have to. But you're a human being that has a hard enough time as it is, never start apologizing and feeling guilty or ashamed.

• Get yourself referred to dermatology ASAP, GPs don't usually have enough knowledge to prescribe useful solutions and I messed about for years like this until I was referred. I am now on a fumeric acid esters scheme and have had clear skin for more than 3 years.

• I have suffered with Psoriasis on my arms and legs for about 18 years (it has varied in severity over the years and I have been prescribed lots of different lotions and potions). This biggest thing for me has been changing my lifestyle and being aware that Psoriasis is an "auto-immune" disease where the body attacks itself. Main things I have found affect mine are through diet and stress. I have started a wellness blog on this very subject which highlights what I have done to manage my Psoriasis (http://thelittlewellnesspatch.com/thelittlewellnesspatch/) which some of you may find useful.. I have listed my skincare routine on my last post. Would be great to hear from you to find out if you have tried any of these things or if something has worked for you too :-)

• Firstly I would say, I hope it's not severe and not to worry because it may be that you have less severe psoriases which is just on and off like most people and see a doctor regularly to keep track of your conditions.

Having been affected with severe psoriases most of my life which has now turned to psoriatic arthritis I won't lie to you it has been one of the most challenging things I have had to deal with. But I have still done most things which I thought I would never do because of my condition. Do research and stay healthy. Eat well, exercise and drink lots of water whilst taking prescriptions your doctor is giving you. If you feel like things aren't working for you must make them aware of this too.

Most of all live your life and try your best to be happy.

Ok that wasn't one advice but if you can take one thing from this and let it have a positive impact on yourself that would be awesome.

• that it should be called psoriatic disease and not just psoriasis.....I believe it will come out in the future that even with just plain old psoriasis there's other things going on in the body.

You may also like...