Asthma UK community forum
12,159 members18,103 posts

Peak flow app

Hi lovely asthma community, I was wondering if anyone had found an app to record Peak flow, symptoms and medication? I’m hopeless with bits of paper and diaries and wondering if I could make records online.

Looking forward to any replies and thank you xx

14 Replies
oldestnewest

I have an Apple IPhone and use the Health app already on there. I find it excellent, I’m able to record peak flow, inhaler usage (reliever), oxygen sats, heart rate plus loads more.

2 likes

I use saniQ. You set your best peak flow and then every time you record a pf it gives you a percentage and a very nice graph.

1 like

Just had a look at this- absolutely perfect, thanks. I wish I could add in the Peak flow readings to my fit bit- love a good graph!

There is another app for the iPhone called QS Access which can export your health app data in various formats, including csv, which will open in Excel & can generate graphs. The spreadsheet I mentioned can also be used to create graphs (I can add that in either fairly easily).

1 like

Sounds exciting, The spread sheet may be useful? I’m always so vague when I have my consultant appointments🤔😉

If you drop me a PM I'll e-mail you a copy; if you're good with spreadsheets you'll easily get it to run graphs, otherwise let me know & I'll set it up for you. As I mentioned, the other way to do it is through QS Access, which is slightly more fiddly but not hugely complicated.

As Asthma-girl says, if you have an iPhone the (free) health app on there is as good as anything you'd pay for. There's also an app call AsthmaMD which I think is available on Android as well.

If you're interested, we had a discussion on here a while ago as well about diurnal variation (the extent to which PF varies through the day) & a couple of us put a spreadsheet together which tracks & analyses PF. I've not done anything to update it for a while as I've been fairly busy, but (with the caveats on the sheet) it seems to work OK. If you want a copy, feel free to PM me & I'll send it to you.

1 like

Thanks all, really useful replies. I have an I phone and have just located the health app. I’ve seen a Peak flow meter which sends results to an app via Bluetooth but just really need to record the results I get with my nhs meter.

I am glad you asked! I know there was a fairly recent discussion, and I found one then that worked for me, but they now seem to have changed it and I get no graph.

I have no iPhone, I use my iPad, and I have no free health app, or at least I have never seen one.

So I am back to square one. I found one, but I had to sign in every single time so it quickly drove me bonkers. I have my own spread sheet, and it can do graphs, but I am always glad to have an update on this. I don’t record my pf all the time, I know whereabouts my best is and then take it from there.

1 like

I use PEF log for my son. It has daily variations, lovely graphics and a nice graph which shows you what zone you are in. Plus you can send the reply to an email address.

1 like

For your own sanity, don't use AsthmaMD - very clunky and annoying, drove me nuts though better than it ued to be.

If you have an iPhone there are more options - as an Android user I have found this hard. MyAsthma may be an option- developed by a pharma company but don't be put off - they hve the money and time to do a good job (other than it not opening on Android...) and it isn't promotional as they are.regulated etc

I used to use AsthmaTracker which was ok. My main requirement is being able to set my own personal best and to produce decent graphs.

1 like

I've only ever been given a graph sheet ie bits of paper!

1 like

Ha ha! Linear or log scale?

I have an android phone. I hadn't considered an app before but it would cut down on the paper lying around. Will have to look into it! 😊

1 like

You may also like...