Mouth taping

So back in hospital πŸ™„. Had a outpatient asthma nurse appt and she admitted me cause PF <50% tho didn't feel too bad (compared to previous admittance 17 days prior) 😳.

I've been advised by physio to walk and talk slower and use shorter sentences (which will be difficult 😝). I also need to breath through my nose (which I normally do anyway) avoid/stop coughing (πŸ™„) and don't run out of breathe then gasp etc.

Physio also advised to tape my mouth shut for 20 mins/day for 7 days then try it overnight (every night). Currently up a 1-2 times a night due to asthma and needing my pump anyway so it sure if/when I'll be ready to do it at night.

Just wondering if anyone else has done mouth taping and if it helped?

Thanks x

Last edited by

13 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • Sorry to hear your back in again. Hopefully it won't be a long stay. The mouth taping sound horrendous!!! I quite often rely on breathing through my mouth as my nose is blocked. Mmmm sounds scary at night too. If you give it a go let us know how you get on. Xx

• My thoughts exactly! Xx

• So all the research I've read so far says it has little to no effect on mild asthmatics and none on symptomatic mild asthmatics. As a severe uncontrolled asthmatic I really don't feel comfortable taping up my mouth especially as I have a history of chronic sinusitis, nasal traumas, nose bleeds and post nasal drip etc. Will discuss with the asthma nurse/consultant tomorrow but very much doubt I'll try it especially at night!

• I'm with you on that one!!! X

• Hi EmmaF91

Never heard of taping the mouth but I hope relief comes for you soon. I am a severe asthma patient myself. I try and avoid hospital trips but sometimes it is just necessary.

• Sounds positively dangerous to me, like something out of a horror film. Be very careful!

• Yup that's what I thought. I don't think I'm gonna do it at all. Been given no guidance as to when to 'start' and currently in an asthma spiral in and out of severe attacks whilst waiting for Brompton to possibly start me on a xolair trial. Now have a throat infection which I'm 75% sure will be in my chest by the weekend (started suddenly today - sore throat, no voice, hacking cough and coughing a lot of yellow gunk up - sorry for the imagery!). Currently basically ignoring everything told yesterday as just working to breathe through cold and going home once pharmacys been despite it all! Only thing I'm doing in nose>mouth breathing when my nose isn't blocked!

• Well, that's a relief. I had visions of you expiring overnight. You know yourself best, after all. I do hope you get some relief some how.

• It's the first time I've ever been unsure about leaving hospital. This time yesterday I was ready to go. Now I'm almost having to plan an emergency return tonight in my head just in case. Can't walk (10 steps to toilet sets me off coughing/sob), can't lay flat, off food and my landlord has had the house painted in the last 48 hrs. They are all aware of this but still sending me home. Stressed but know this is currently just a cold (breathing out better than breathing in for once!!!) and they want to get me away from all the chest infections on the ward. Not very trusting of anyone currently. Patients and pharmacy have said I'm worse than I was yesterday and still...

sorry I just needed to get that out to people who understand. Currently just want to cry which would most definitely not help the situation!! Arghhhhh!!! πŸ˜’πŸ˜•πŸ˜£πŸ˜”πŸ˜–πŸ˜ πŸ˜«πŸ˜¬πŸ˜§πŸ˜’πŸ˜³πŸ˜΄πŸ˜·πŸ€§πŸ€’

• Mouth taping sounds really scary. Don't think Id be keen to try that at all... Specially at night, waking up fighting for breath with mouth taped would be terrifying

What does the asthma nurse and consultant say? Xxx

• Haven't managed to talk to them. Saw AN for all of 2 mins - she saw I wasn't well so said we'd meet properly tomorrow as not allowed to go til PF >470 and was at 350. Saw drs for 5 mins couple hours later, PF 370 - I'm being sent home πŸ™„ cause no wheeze in lungs - yet (being a bit pissimistic I know but hey). Not in a great place ATM as you can possibly tell. Was hoping to get out before 5 to speak to asthma uk but will ring tomorrow before I see my GP (have multiple questions).

Only posted on here to see if anyone had been advised mouth taping... so far doesn't appear so - another reason I don't feel comfortable trying it.

• Hi EmmaF91

I asked our nurse team about your query and Kath told me it's part of the Buteyo breathing techniques, she said it was really important for you to feel comfortable with what the physio has asked you. do talk to the physio and have a chat about what it is they are trying to achieve with the mouth taping and not to do anything that you aren't comfortable with. Do call the nurse team on 0300 222 5800 (Monday - Friday 9am-5pm (they are closed on bank holiday Monday)

Hope that helps,

Dita

• Thanks. Planning on ringing tomorrow ☺️

You may also like...