Asthma UK community forum

What is an asthma/allergy specialist called? I want to be refered to one!

Hi there

I have been diagnosed with asthma today. I am 32 and my breathing has been getting worse and worse over the last few weeks, with some bad attacks at the weekend.

I would like to get to the bottom of what exactly are my triggers, before I spend a fortune on things like filter vacuum cleaners etc.

I am lucky enough to have private healthcare, so it is not a problem; but I don't know what an allergy specialist is called to look them up on PPP's website....can anyone help?

Also, does anyone have any comments about filter vacuum cleaners...are they worth it?

Thank you.


1 Reply

Hi Nic,

asthma is caused by a variety of triggers, which include allergies but not exclusively. A respiratory or chest consultant would be the first person to see - they deal with all lung problems including asthma, although some have more of an interest in asthma than others, but it is so common that all should have a good bit of experience. If they feel the problem is allergies and that it would be useful, they may refer you on to an immunologist, but they are few and far between and are more focussed on the allergic problems than on asthma which may be caused by other things.

Hope you get some good advice.



You may also like...