Scrambled Tofu

OK folks bear with me here as I imagine the title is enough to have you reaching (or should that be retching) for your paper bowlers (aka sick bowls)

Packet of tofu (silken)

Random Veg (tomato/onion/leek/mushroom/peppers/sweetcorn/peas/courgette)

Herbs (fresh or dried and use those you like or go for it and try something new)

Salt and Pepper

Olive Oil (or any other you have about but 3 in 1 does not work well :) )

Soya milk (optional)

Heat oil and soften, cook or burn to a crisp your selected veg in flying pan

Crumble the tofu into the frying pan

Chuck in the herbs and cook the tofu through (3-5 mins)

If you prefer a slightly less dry consistency add a dash of soya milk to moisten it up a bit

Now ignore the fact it looks like puke (a sprig of parsley does not help) and enjoy. I really mean it it is yummmmmmmm

8 Replies

• Thanks Bex!

I love Tofu!

I have heard of scrambled tofu but not tried it. I usually coat cubes in in seasoned or spiced cornflour and fry it - the solid stuff. or make a vegan cheese cake from the silken stuff. Mmm!

Also mash as a base for some sandwich filling with things.....

• I am going to have to experiment more. I had a huge craving for scrambled egg and did some web searching came up with recipes as simple and similar to mine through long complicated ones which seemed like a lot of fuss for scrambled egg on toast which is simplicity itself.

ASDA do a silken tofu for £1 it seems fine for scrambled egg do I need to paying more for a better tofu or is one block of tofu much the same as the next?

Can you marinade tofu?

Anyone else got any other good tofu recipes?

• I have a Tofu Recipe book!

Silken is quite smooth and the solid stuff - usually comes packed in water is much firm . The behave differently.

Yes you can marinate tofu..... I was thinking Tofu au Vin the other night.

You can also buy marinated tofu - Cauldron so it in pieces.

I am sure there are many things you can use. Soy sauce and ginger for one.

Coating it in Cornflour gives in a nice crispy (Tempura style) finish when frying.

PS WIll digout some recipes when I have time XXX

• as a strict veggie i can honestly say that if it is cooked correctly it is ab fab. a lot of veggie reciepes look bland even with the colourful veg mixed but they taste delicious. try diced tofu,soya pieces or quorn pieces on a baking try with sliced peppers, mushrooms, red onions, sliced of pineapple and drizzle with olive oil and italian seasoning. bake till pieces cooked and serve on a crisp salad or with pizza bread-lush

• am looking forward to attempting this creation. my 10mnth old dairy n soya intolerent. ispite beingg a veggie myself i have never attacked tofu recipes had a few disasters that put me off for life!!

• Chell,

Tofu is Soya Bean Curd therefore not suitable for people allergic or intollerant to soya.

• im an extremely fussy eater also vegetarian and unfortunatly im petrified of trying new foods due to a nasty past experience, im becoming less afraid of food and want to challenge myself by tasting new things as currently my phobias associated with food mean i eat a very limited and repetative diet. therefore i was wondering if anyone could describe the taste and texture of tofu also if anyone has any nicebut basic vegetarian recipies i could attempt

thanks all :) x

• I just had scrambled tofu for lunch and it reminded me there was a post on here about it!

I'm not vegetarian now but I was for about 11 years and so I still eat a lot of vegetarian meals. I would suggest getting Sophie Dahl's cook book- she has a few scrambled tofu recipes which are really tasty and very simple. I tend to have it with mushrooms and ground cumin or with spinach and homemade pesto (you can easily miss out the cheese if on a dairy free diet if you make it yourself- in fact spinach and walnut is a good combination). Might work with chili and cherry/ vine tomatoes too?

I tend to buy the cauldron tofu blocks (in the chilled section) as it seems to have a slightly better texture than silken tofu for scrambling. Don't think it really matters though- the fun's always in the experimenting!

You may also like...