The British government said Thursday that it would begin offering coronavirus tests for children aged 11-18 in the worst-affected parts of London and southeast England to try to cut a rise in infections. UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he was “particularly concerned” about a spike in cases in London, and parts of the counties of Kent and Essex that border the British capital.
He told a news conference that the data showed the biggest jump among children of secondary school age, which could have a knock-on effect in older people in the weeks to come.
“We need to take targeted action immediately,” he told reporters.
Month-long coronavirus restrictions were eased across England earlier this month, but unlike during the three-month UK-wide lockdown in late March, schools remained open. Mobile testing units will be sent to the affected areas to test children, whether or not they have symptoms of COVID-19.