My three cardiologists (lucky, I know) have all agreed I should be on an anticoagulant. They (and I, I guess) have settled on 5mg twice a day Apixaban.
I have a few questions that I hope veteran Apixaban/general anticoagulant takers may be able to answer:
1. Are there any dietary issues with Apixaban?
- I only have the odd pint here and there. I assume that's OK?
- No one has mentioned any food I cannot eat, but I've heard rumours of grapefruit and cranberries being out. Does anyone know if that's the case or if there is anything else I should avoid?
2. Ways to cope if I have a bleed?
- I cycle and of course, I'll fall off my bike once in a while. Is there anything I need to consider in my new anticoagulated state? (other than always wearing a helmet)
- Do I have to restrict rough and tumble play with my kids?
- Will I bruise more easily? (and if so, does it mean anything other than looking beaten up?)
3. Long-term use of an anticoagulant
- I'll be on this for the rest of my life, barring an unexpected medical breakthrough. Does anyone know if there are long-term effects of being on an anticoagulant (e.g. on liver function) and if there is anything I can do to mitigate them?
Thanks in advance all.