Last week I reverted to NSR after a jump start (number 21), I'd had some weird "racing away" episodes that went back to 65bmp after a few seconds over the weekend but felt OK, and was going back to work on Friday.
Then Tuesday night (again) went to bed and woke up after an hour or so with like a head rush..... and crushing in my chest.... and then HR skipping around 130-150 and irregular. When I lay quiet in the dark I could feel it pulsing felt like my head was moving.
I'd only taken evening meds 5 hours before, so didn't take them this time. Tried the usual tricks, and failed.
Feeling unwell and a bit worried about the earlier chest crushing I went up to ED. Much busier than last week at this time of night, 36 waiting in the waiting room and an hour just to be triaged because someone fainted with a broken arm, but I knew I was in a safe place.
Got into resus where the reg (a new one to me) said "this is just ridiculous this can't keep happening" even after I told him I wouldn't come if I didn't feel so unwell with it, or it hadn't had associated chest pain at the onset.
He said "I could jump start you but then you'd be back here again in a few weeks" and I didn't argue with that, feeling low and fraudulent as it is.
Lots going on in resus too, a aortic aneurysm in the next bay had delayed the consultant going off shift who said she didn't agree with yet another cardioversion so soon, at my age, and as a treatment because it is a "waste of resources" (in private she said to the doctor it's a "piss take") that I'm in almost monthly (it's been three months since my last episodes this month)
So they went down the chemical cardioversion route, despite it not working before, but not having been tried for a year.
Initially it didn't work and after 2 hours I was still batting away. They got the medical reg down as the next stage would be CCU and seeing cardiology later on today. After a long chat, and the fact I'm due to see my none EP cardiologist on Thursday PM they decided to "jump me" again and send me home, although I overheard the doctor saying he'd already had a thinly veiled threat that shift for going against the consultant's management plan. I also got told what DC cardioversion does to the heart (I know) and one doctor said "if it was me, and I was offered this and it kept me NSR for a year I'd take it, but not 3 in a year" to which I replied he doesn't have to balance being able to walk half a mile to school, a young family and a desperation to keep his job.
As we were talking, the heart dropped down to 103 and I had "P waves" which was cause for celebration between the two doctors who were going against the consultants plan.
I have to say honestly I didn't feel any different, though the ECG confirmed NSR and they sent me home. BUT just getting out of the taxi and walking back up the stairs to bed put my HR back up at 198.... I managed to grab a few more hours sleep but as yet I've not done anything this morning and just lying in bed since 5am my HR has still been around 100.