AF Association
13,199 members16,080 posts

Hemorrhoids and Anti-coagulants

Sorry about the subject matter - look away now if you want.

I am on Edoxaban (and previously Dabigatran) and have hemorrhoids. I have bleeding on occasions and it usually stops fairly quickly. Today I have some bleeding, more than in the past, although I know a little blood in the toilet can look much worse than it is. The blood's red and not brown or clotted. I'm careful how I clean up and don't push too much.

I went to see my GP a while ago and he didn't seem concerned and gave me some cream. I haven't got the cream with me right now to apply.

Should I be concerned?

Do any other people suffer from this?

PS - Thanks to those who read this till the end :)

5 Replies
oldestnewest

I was just discussing this subject with my husband (retired doctor) yesterday. There are some great over-the-counter medications but which ones depend on whether the piles are internal or external. Suppositories such as Anusol, along with the cream can heal and prevent bleeding after a couple of days I believe. Also, anal fissures can cause a lot of bleeding and the same medications will help to heal that problem too if you have it.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless the bleeding continues but if I was in your shoes I'd ring a pharmacist (easier than facing them haha) and ask advice on which would be best for you. Good luck!

3 likes

P.S. Fibogel or similar taken daily might help your problem long term.

Thanks Hilly22

I am on Warfarin and have had your problem.

I have now found a daily satchet of Macrogol has eased it and has made life much more bearable.

Pete

Don't be embarrassed. It's still a body part and worthy of our concern. Just want to add one important idea to all the other good suggestions. Whenever we have problems with our G.I. system I believe it's helpful to really try to avoid constipation. No matter where our particular problem occurs along our gut-even hemorrhoids, keeping the pressure from bloating, gas, pain, possible bleeding to a minimum will help minimize symptoms. 😊 Take care. And when any part of our plumbing is out of whack life is not comfortable! 😥😥 irina

6 likes

You may also like...