Log in
AF Association
15,350 members18,336 posts

Atrial Fribullation


I am writing to ask about Atrial Fribullation.I have recently been diagnosed and given Rivaroxban for stroke.The consultant told me there would be follow up from the cardiology department.

The doctor told me that I would need to contact DVLA regarding my condition,can anyone tell me if your driving licence is suspended.

Many thanks

10 Replies

Unless you report a history of strokes, blacking out or dizziness - no. You only have to advise. I am pretty sure it is administrative but look up on line athelete DVLA site.

I am not sure about exactly what happens now as I have had AF for more than 10 years and gathered a few more conditions for which my license was suspended for double vision. I got it back when the DV was controlled but given a 3 year medical license - which I am just in the process of renewing. I am attending an eye test - bog standard read this, 5 minutes one; DVLA write to my doctors - although they don’t seem to have written to my cardiologist and don’t seem in the least interested in AF and I may be asked to do an assessment - mini driving test,. But for Lone AF - I don’t think so.

Welcome and hope you find this forum useful. An diagnosis can be a bit daunting at first but you will find lots of help and support here.

Best wishes CD.

1 like

Hi Dmg

The instructions around the DVLA are confusing aren't they I do agree.

If, however, your doctor has told you to contact them, then it's probably best to confirm it with them that you can drive. As Cdreamer says they will not take away your licence unless you have a history of strokes or blacking out.

The challenge is that if, at some stage in the future you have an accident, and it later comes out your doctor told you to contact DVLA and you didn't then your insurance company could technically refuse to pay out.

I told DVLA and I am the proud possessor of a letter of medical fitness to drive and I send a copy every year to my insurance company to cover my butt.

Be well


1 like

Many thanks,

I was a little worried about this but your response was reassuring,Apparently I have a irregular heart beat.

1 like

I would suggest that you don't ring in to DVLA but write instead. You might get someone who makes a snap decision to suspend your licence which I think happened to someone not long ago.

I told DVLA and my insurers and both noted the situation but it did not affect my licence or put up the premium. My GP had not told me that I should take this action but comment on the forum indicated it would be prudent to do so.

It's rare, I think, for anyone with AF to lose their licence unless the irregular heartbeat causes blackouts.

1 like

If you go into DVLA website search out Medical Services and then look at list of conditions. Some are notifiable, some not. I think with an ordinary driving licence, you are OK. BUT this should be stated in this area of the website. In my case I kept my bog standard driving licence but had my PCV entitlement suspended. This was reinstated once I qualified.


This 'Advice for the medical profession' was updated on January 1st this year 2018 and gives an insight into what is required with regard to notification of various health conditions.

Scroll down for 'Arrhythmias'..




Form to download and fill in for car drivers..



This is a quote from The British Heart Foundation website...

''If you have an ordinary licence to drive a car or

motorcycle, you are likely to be able to continue to drive,

as long as your atrial fibrillation has been well controlled

for at least four weeks. You must not drive if you have

symptoms at the wheel. There are different requirements

if you have had an ablation or have had a pacemaker

inserted. Talk to your GP about whether or not it is OK for

you to drive.

To find out if you need to tell the DVLA about your heart

condition or about a treatment you have had for it, visit

direct.gov.uk/drivingandmed... Or call ''



If you have pauses in your heartbeat greater than 3 seconds then I think you may have to voluntarily surrender your license until they are treated. But hopefully what you are required to do is more of a simple notification?


The restrictions about driving in most countries apply to any condition that affects your driving sklls like, vision problems, problems affecting consciouness or physical coordination. These situations can be caused by illness or side effects from medicines. AF is not by itself a driving impediment unless it reduces your level of consciousness, coordination or if one of your medicines makes you lethargic or too weak. Yes, if you suffer an accident due to your illness, or from the medicines you take for your illness, you could be held negligent.


Got my forms to fill out today from the DVLA hopefully everything will be alright for driving.What is the waiting time before you see a cardiologist after being diagnosed.I need to know what’s to happen next.


You may also like...