who is on diltiazem for paroxysmal a-fib

Had a stress test to induce my parox a-fib, did not happen, however the next day I had it for several hours. I was prescribed diltiazem 120mg 2x. I started the meds in Oct, and was am doing o.k., but early Saturday after midnight I felt it coming on at 3:30 in the morning. I had fallen asleep on the couch and had it for at least 5-6 hrs. I do daily walking and work, no issues. My next apt is at the end of January.

My question is does anyone have breakthrus once in awhile while on this med. I guess it's to early to tell. I also am on eliquis 2.5mg 2x.

I had made a post a while back on my situation. I had cryoablation for my a-fib and did quite well. My parox a-fib returned 5 yrs & 2 mos later etc,......................

Appreciate any feed back.

10 Replies

• On 120 mg. extended release once per day, no problems

• To lorna-doone18

How long have you been on 120mg extended release diltiazem caps once daily?

• Fifteen months. Had ablation 6 months ago, stopped flecainide at that time, but still take diltiazem and Xarelto.

• Diltiazem is for rate control rather than as an anti-arrhythmic. So they will not stop any AF. I found I noticed them a lot less on the dilt than with beta blockers though, and my exercise capacity was much greater.

• Few drugs can fully control AF and only rhythm control drugs can to any extent. Sounds like you may need a second ablation.

• I take Diltiazem but it is to reduce heartrate in AF and A tachycardia. I take Propafenone for rhythm control.

• I'm on Dilitiazem 240 mg daily and like BobD take mine in the evening - so far it's done the job of keeping my AF at bay - for now - had my last episode about a year ago, but the nature of AF is such that this run of "luck" can change overnight.

All the best to you,

• It will breakthru. Theres no stopping it altogether. But I found Diltiazem reduced the intensity fabulously well.

• i have been on 120mg for about 2 years now and haven't had any problems which hopefully will continue

• I take the same medication and I have had quite a few episodes. Now the dr has put me on Ranexa and Multaq with Diltiazem.

You may also like...