Appointment went well and I was given results of lots of tests. Arteries seem ok with only minimal plaque. Some minor valve leak but no need to do anything about it as not bad enough to need intervention at this point.
Confirmed I have a number of complex atrial issues, flutter, fib, tachycardia. Meds working ok at present but he thinks ablation is the route to go. Procedure will be complex because my arrhythmia's are very complex, not without risks, lengthy and may well take a number of ablations. Would hope to get 70% improvement overall.
It would be cryo ablation of the pulmonary veins. A Cat scan will be done in advance to look at the structure of the heart, no EP study as such and no putting me into arrhythmia to map (don't know why this is so). Ablation done under local anesthetic and will take 3 hours ish.
Big downside is there are 4 EP's and its pot luck who I get which is a concern as I only want my EP as he is the best. That is why I went to him in the first place. Tried to flatter him into it but no joy so a one in four chance of getting my guy.
Waiting list is up to 12 months. I asked about being referred to London and he was very amenable as our waiting list is so long. My choice, if I choose to go elsewhere they will still treat me back here ongoing, no questions asked. (thought he might be offended but no), was pleasantly surprised.
So its time to mull things over and make some decisions. I will reflect for a week or so as I need time to assimilate all he has said. At least I am on our ablation list from today so no need to make a ridiculously off the cuff decision. Just have to let him know if I want him to refer me to London.
Feel a bit better for the consultation but very scared about the ablation. Think I will give myself some time off from worrying and enjoy the pleasant weekend weather. Might nip down to Devon for 3 days or so.
Thanks for your ongoing support folks.