PCa with Bone mets in femur

Two months ago I had a PET scan that seemed to show a cracked femur neck on my left hip. I was told to see a orthopedic surgeon at Dreyer Clinic in Aurora Illinois. I saw Doctor Rabin head of orthopedic surgery at Dreyer. He did not see a cracked in the femur and ordered a CT scan and an xray. Those tests showed a large bone met 3/4 of the way through the femur making the femur weak. He said I had some choices. One was to do nothing and wait for the bone to break. Two was to try and support it with screws. Three was to put a metal brace on it and four was to put a rod into the femur with screws to do the best job of fixing it. I had the rod installed on the 11th. I spent the night in the hospital and went home the 13th.

I have bone mets to numerous to count. Mets are found on the skull, neck and shoulders, spine, ribs, the whole hip area, femur and jawbones. Has anyone else had problems like this with your bone mets.

DFZ4835

DENNIS

15 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Dennis, at diagnosis 2 yrs ago had mets in both hips, all along spine, back ribs, scapulae, chest plus various in soft tissues but not mets as widespread as yours. Docetaxel knocked mine back and Zytiga great follow up. No new mets, no extension to existing mets and maybe 80% gone. The chemo doesn't differentiate between locations and acts on all areas. What treatment are you having?

• I finished with doctaxtal am having zytiga, a Xgeva and lupron. We are discussing changes but they haven't given me what I feel are good enough reasons to change.

• Dennis,

Have you been taking the drug called Zometa? Long term use of Zometa (Zoldronic Acid) is known to cause weird and serious breaks in the femur.

Joel

• No the last time I used zometa was in 2012.

• Mine are advancing. Oncologist team has tried chemo (Docetaxel)... radiation twice...Zytiga/bicalutimide/Xtandi and Lupron and am now back on chemo again. Yet...mets still grow. they have been able to contain it to pelvis for 2 yrs...but I have exhausted all of the current antihormone therapys...it has become chem castrate resistant. so..not sure how effective this second round of chemo will be. Cancer is so damned aggressive. I'm 57. This all started 2 years ago

• Lombardi,

Sorry to hear your story. I did not notice Xofigo on the list of drugs you have used. It is a really powerful treatment for bone mets. Also not on the list is Jevtana (cabaziltaxel), another possible type of chemotherapy.

Joel

• Hey Joel. They are treating me with Zometa for bone density. This will be my last treatment involving chemo. I go thru these treatmento and I gain a month or two before cancer reassert itself

• My PSA never gets higher than 16 and I end up with multiple lesions

• I have/had multiple mets in spine, ribs, sternum and femur. In October I finished six monthly intravenous injections with Xofigo (radium 223). After second injection, experienced great bone pain relief allowing me to get off Hydromorphone 4mg every 4 hours. Now controlling minor bone pain with Naproxen Sodium 220 mg morning and night. My oncologists says its reasonable to expect pain relief to last 6 to 9 months or until new mets develop. Had minimal side effects from the Xofigo, mainly increased fatigue, which seems to be improving now about 1 month after my last injection. My PSA is now down to .68.

• Ex has extensive mets as well and one which caused a fracture to his femoral head as well three months ago. He did radiation to left hip/femur as well as to lower spine due to impending spinal cord compression. He wasn't offered surgery as he had done lupron, docetaxel, xgeva, xtandi, zytiga, Provenge, xofigo and now jetvana for extension of life, all since diagnosis 18 months ago. Surgery seemed pointless due to aggressiveness of cancer. He is still ambulatory but pain is fairly widespread. Radiation helped a little with pain to left hip but caused constant GI issues.

• I felt the surgery to the femur with the 17 inch rod would save from having hip break and replacement surgery later. Hip replacement is a much bigger surgery than the 'placement of the rod. It would've broken soon. I am sure at a inopportune time.

Dennis

• I am so sorry. My cancer is also incredibly aggressive. How advanced was cancer when he was diagnosed?

• PSA 2740. Hundreds of bone and lymph node mets. The worst part was bone marrow metastases which caused severe pancytopenia. He almost bled out internally and externally until lupron and flutamide began to work. Nothing has worked well for long and prognosis now is grim. Widespread bone pain. After two rounds of jetvana, PSA now 480, up 200 points in 8 weeks..

• Oh my God. I cant' ever express how sorry I am. This cancer is so insidious and tenacious. My heart goes out to him. I hope he finds peace soon. Bill

• Gleason 9

You may also like...