Foods/Supplements-Vitamins: Medicinal Fungi - Oyster mushroom - Pleurotus ostreatus

Can vegans eat oyster mushrooms?:

"The oyster mushroom is one of the few known carnivorous mushrooms. Its mycelia can kill and digest nematodes, which is believed to be a way in which the mushroom obtains nitrogen." [1]

Only one PCa study (but it has been widely studied in other cancers).

[2] (2006 - U.S.)

"Twenty species of edible mushrooms and three purified mushroom polysaccharides were screened for their antitumor potential on human androgen-independent cancer PC-3 cells. A water-soluble extract (POE) prepared from the fresh oyster mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus produced the most significant cytotoxicity on PC-3 cells among the mushroom species tested. At the same time, POE induced a rapid apoptosis on PC-3 cells ... when the cells were exposed to POE (150 microg/mL) for 2 hours."

-Patrick

[1] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleur...

[2] ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/168...

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Patrick, what mushrooms or mushroom complexes have you tried, and ty for the magnificent natural info you are always providing xoxo ty for your kindness to me as well

• Thanks!

I still have other stuff that I have tried, but I am now really only interested in:

Coriolus versicolor - Turkey Tail from ORIVeDA

amazon.com/ORIVeDA-PSP-50-e...

(I have no financial interest, of course.).

On the face of it, you'd think that a blend of medicinal mushrooms might be best, but I understand that this may not be the case. In any event, I simply don't trust most mushroom products.

-Patrick

• Hi patrick. is there a specific reason for using this brand. I'm only asking because I ordered trammune frome Australia and it hasn't arrived yet and was going to five it to my dad when it comes. but if your research on brands warns,me against it I will order a different one or pass it on to someone taking it. xoxo ty for all your promising research and time. you're awesome

• No doubt there are other good brands. The bulk of U.S. products say nothing about the extract process, so I assume them to be worthless.

Trammune does state their process:

psktrammune.com.au/modern-p...

The emphasis is on PSK whereas ORIVeDA emphasizes PSP. It would be interesting to know if there is PSP in Trammune & PSK in the ORIVeDA - & how much. Who knows? - perhaps taking both would be a good hedge.

-Patrick

• I just emailed one company to find out. I'll let you know xoxo