Vegan Foods for Life
343 members429 posts

Happy orthodox easter!

Happy orthodox easter!

Today is orthodox easter - which I know because I went to an Ethiopian restaurant for lunch yesterday and the staff told me :)

Here's a picture of the lovely lentil and vegetable soup I had - Ethiopian cuisine is fantastic for vegans, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church has many fasting days when meat is proscribed, so lots of vegan dishes have been developed for then.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Ben, a lovely looking soup you have there too and this is really interesting so here's a link about Fasika:

theafricachannel.com/fasika...

Being a coeliac I'm interested in many foods that I can eat from around the world and I find other diets and cultures fascinating.

1 like

Can you eat 'teff'?

I'd love to try making the fermented injera from it but it looks complicated

1 like

Hi Ben,

Yes I can eat teff and have had some bread with just teff and it was a really nice brown bread, I fancy making some gf sourdough bread soon too.

Very rarely do I say something looks amazing. But this looks amazing.

Yours very jealous.

1 like

Thanks - it was amazing :)

The basic ingredients seemed to be lentils, onion, carrots and celery, but the magic must have been in the stock and the spices. And i suspect it may have had more oil than i'd have used myself. I have invested in a few Ethiopian cooking books to try and discover the secrets :)

You may also like...