So, my story goes like this.....
At 34 years old, I was on maternity leave from my employer who i had worked for 10+ years. I was lucky to have a great boss who granted me a second year of maternity leave - allowing me to spend time with my family & also look at studying for a more 'family friendly' career. During this time, i commenced a uni degree & contracted VM 5 weeks into my first semester.
What a change in my life!
7 days in intensive care & i was discharged back to my 'new' life. Little did i know that my world had changed forever. 2 years on & new world reflects:
- memory loss - particularly short term
- regular headaches
- daily medication for headaches
- frustration like nothing ever experienced
- weight gain (medication related) leading to self consciousness
- inability to understand simple concepts at different periods
- extreme irritability at times
- irrational behaviour
- periods of exhaustion
- self consciousness at meeting new people due to my perception they will think Im not listening as i cannot often think quickly enough for the conversation to flow freely
- extreme stress on my relationships with family, friends & co-workers
Where am i at now?
I have had a fantastic GP listen & explain this is NOT normal & ive been referred to a neurologist. The neurologist has indicated i do have a brain injury & is sending me for psych tests to identify how much damage has occurred. I am about to commence botox injections to see if this will address the headaches so i can wean from the medication Im on.
I would really welcome hearing from anyone else that may have experienced these after effects. Please let me know of anything that might work. Im at my wits end & the effects its having on my life are life changing.