I'm wondering if anyone has experienced themselves or with a family member a situation simmilar to mine where the consultants who treat my father at ITU and us as a the next of kin of my father cannot agree on withdrawal of life support. What are the next steps? They say 'ultimately the decision is theirs'
Here is an overview of what happened.
My dad (59 years) had a cardiac arrest at home. My partner performed CPR and once the amublance he regained a pulse after continued CPR and the use of a defibrillator (noted 30mins down time) he was taken into ITU where everything was regulated and he was at this time heavily sedated. He has been having myclonic seizures and they have now managed to control them with anti epileptic drugs. Until then they kept him sedated (for 16days) to control the seizures. We are 9 days off sedation now and he is has gone from no movments at all to a vegatative state, with eyes opening more and more slowley and his pupils now moving and small movements from his body although these are involuntary movements the doctors are saying. EEG scans show a poor outcome however a MRI does not show any brain damage. They are saying that he has hypoxic brain damage and that leads to very poor prognosis
We have had 3 meets with the consultants and they are all saying that the quality of life will be very poor and he will stay like this forever. I feel as if they are trying to pressure us to make a decision straight away and we have seen in the 9 days small changes from not waking to being in the vegatative state he is now. They keep saying the decision is ultimately theirs and they are trying to negotiate time. Has anyone been in a simmilar situation and does anyone know at what point will our wishes no longer be considered. It's been 24 days today in total he has been in ITU. 9days off sedation.