Some of this came up in other posts, but thought it might be handy to have a thread capturing the best and the worst.
From my experience:
- Nandos - piri piri chicken (good knowledge, good choice of gluten and dairy free options and detailed fact-book)
- Zizzis - Italian (gorgeous duck dish, plus gluten and dairy free pasta and sauces)
- Las Iguanas - South American (good awareness and flexibility, )
- Welcome Break Services (not a lot of choice, but they do have a detailed allergy guide and helpful staff)
- Old Orleans (good range of choice and awareness)
- Novotel hotels (apparent limited choice, but their staff are trained well and they employ "proper" chefs who are prepared to go completely off menu to satisfy; they also usually stock gluten free bread)
- MacDonalds - will supply gluten free burger if you bring a bun, fries are gluten free
- KFC - can't eat chicken but fries and sweetcorn are gluten and dairy free
- ASDA - believe it or not, their cafes are quite switched on and you can have roast chicken (minus gravy) or bacon and eggs and have detailed guides. More than once ASDA cafes have saved me from starvation.
- ASK (lack of choice (despite having a detailed allergy guide)and cross-contamination issues)
- Pizza Express (lack of choice and cross contamination issues)
- Travelodge, Ibis, Premier Inn - poor choice, cross contamination issues
- Burger King - fries are coated in semolina
- Sainsburys cafes - poor knowledge and choice