Need some advice

We are thinking of moving to the countryside , I thought that this would be good for my copd but am wondering now if it will, we would have solid fuel heating in the new house and would be surrounded by fields obviously this is a big decision and one that I need to get right as once we are there it would be expensive to change our minds and try and move back to town....... it has not got to the stage yet where it is too late to back out (its a mutual housing association exchange) so was wondering what advice anyone on here could offer me

thank you in advance

Cales xx

14 Replies

  • Not really for me to say i live in a farming area. And suffer badly come haymaking time, id talk to my gp or specialist if it were me

  • I'm sure others will be along to advise but all I can say is that I live in a semi rural area, surrounded by fields and trees. Although I do get hay fever, I find a daily antihistamine helps that and my breathing is much better than in towns or cities as there is so much less pollution from traffic.

    I too have COPD (emphysema).

    Lynne xx

  • I am surrounded by fields, this year mostly oilseed rape which flowers for about a fortnight, but you get pollen from trees and flowers in a town garden plus diesel/petrol fumes, I don't find my breathing any worse in the spring/summer than the winter. The air has to be cleaner in the country. Pity we can't all live by the seasde.

    Lib x

  • here ever you move is good and bad ,good in town near hospitals,out of town you have pollen high fever, ,you save to move to hot place all year round ,near see ,every where you move you have bad an good things ,

  • I've got asthma. I live in the countryside, surrounded by arable and meadow grazing land. I've also got solid fuel central heating. I've never really noticed my breathing getting worse during the pollen season, however, I do get very breathless whenever I travel into the city.

    Clearing out the ash pan of the fire was also causing me breathlessness, until I had a light-bulb moment and realised if I covered my nose and mouth with a scarf, I could get on with that job just fine.

    If I was you, I'd be checking on the crop rotation, and ask the advice from your medical team, then weigh up the pros and cons before finally committing to such a move.

  • I live in a town but work in the countryside. I find my breathing is a lot better in the countryside but that's just me and we are all different.

  • I was in the same boat,,one or two things to remember,,, check transport links,,hospital catchment areas,, where is the closest gp sugery and services there for copd sufferers,,Also you need to check the cost of solid fuel,,here coal is £16 per bag,,a fire is great but messy,,does it have a back boiler for radiators,,size of garden,,will you manage it,,that kind of stuff... Wishing you well,whatever way you decide..

  • Reading all the useful advice, I am wondering what suits one----doesn't suit another. Possibly you could contact the Breathe Easy in the area, or other ap propriate body. Wondering if you could have skin tests to se what irritates your asthma.

  • I have lived ,rural,semi rural, and now by the sea, I don't think it makes much diffrence really I hate the cold winds that come off the sea and I live in the south east ,but if I could I would move back to semi rural

    Regards jenny

  • Hi cales

    This is a biq question, knowing the right thing to do can be very difficult. Just to echo others on here, it really depends on what triggers your symptoms. Pollution in more urban areas can be a real problem but equally if your bothered by seasonal allergies these may be felt more acutely in the countryside. Generally though there isn't really anywhere that is going to be perfect when you have a lung condition. Would you feel more relaxed in the countryside? Feeling stressed and anxious certainly has an affect on breathing.

    Wishing you luck.



  • I live in the country come town if that makes sense. The pollen gives me grief, but I would sooner stay due to my relationships with my GP, specialist, hospital. They are well in the know with me.

    But saying that, it is a cowards way out, because threre are plenty of other GP's etc who would look after my needs equally.

    Go for it, I wish I was as brave.


  • Only one point i've had anything to do with here that's dust off of the fire, my daughter had a solid fuel(closed in parkray type). I had to stop going to visit, i just couldn't breath in there. Check it out well before your decision. God luck. Mick

  • Good

  • Thank you all very much for the replies........ I have to say I was a little concerned about the solid fuel heating but I wont be in contact with it as such as my husband will be doing the lighting up and clearing the ashes, it is a multi fuel stove and runs hot water and heating during the winter months then during the summer its solar panels and emmersion for hot water ........ our use of coal will be restricted to when we want to keep the fire in and will burn mainly wood the rest of the time.

    I am all over the place at the moment and so very depressed I have changed my Dr and she has now referred me to pulmonary rehab but I wont get to see the respiratory nurse for an assessment until 28th May I am longing for this as I really just dont know whats going on with me right now , I am restless and really want to move away from the estate we currently live on as its young families and quite noisy and I am craving peace and quiet but at the same time its scaring me as its such a huge decision.

    any way thank you all once again

    Cales xx

You may also like...